Energy needed to convert a bound proton to a neutron?

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for converting bound protons into neutrons in atomic nuclei. The methods mentioned include particle scattering and (n,p) reactions, with a focus on electron-proton collisions in a completely ionized 48Ti isotope. The question also addresses how to calculate the necessary energy for this conversion, taking into account the total energy of the initial and final nuclei.
Aakash Sunkari
TL;DR Summary
How does one go about calculating the energy a particle needs such that in a collision with a bound proton, the proton is converted to a neutron?
Hey everyone,

I've got a question on converting bound protons into neutrons.

a. What are some methods used to achieve the proton-to-neutron conversion in atomic nuclei?
I'm familiar with particle scattering off a proton in the nucleus. I'm also aware of (n,p) reactions. Are there any other methods to either convert a proton to a neutron in a nucleus, or any other methods of replacing a proton with a neutron?
Note that I don't mean natural processes such at beta-plus decay.

b. How does one calculate (in the scattering scenario) the amount of energy a particle needs in order to convert a bound proton to a neutron?
Specifically, I am looking at electron-proton collisions in a completely ionized 48Ti isotope:
Feynman diagram of an Electron-proton collision

How would one calculate the amount of energy the electron needs to create that proton-to-neutron conversion in the nucleus?

Thank you all in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the total energy afterwards. The total energy before must match or exceed that. You'll need the mass of the initial and final nucleus (not the atom) in this case.

1. What is the process of converting a bound proton to a neutron?

The process of converting a bound proton to a neutron is known as beta decay. This involves the emission of a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) from the nucleus, resulting in a change in the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

2. How much energy is needed to convert a bound proton to a neutron?

The energy needed for this conversion varies depending on the specific nucleus and the energy level of the proton. On average, it takes about 0.78 MeV (mega electron volts) of energy to convert a bound proton to a neutron.

3. What is the source of the energy required for this conversion?

The source of the energy needed for this conversion is the binding energy of the nucleus. This is the energy that holds the protons and neutrons together in the nucleus and is released during beta decay.

4. Can this conversion occur naturally?

Yes, this conversion can occur naturally through the process of radioactive decay. Many elements have unstable nuclei that undergo beta decay, converting a bound proton to a neutron and releasing energy in the process.

5. Why is this conversion important in nuclear reactions?

This conversion is important in nuclear reactions because it allows for the transformation of one element into another. By converting a bound proton to a neutron, the overall number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus changes, resulting in a different element with potentially different properties.