How to understand Plutonium enrichment in the graph

• I
  • Thread starter Neutroniclad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between enrichment and critical diameter for a fixed density of 1g/cm3 in a cylinder of plutonium. The data shows that as the enrichment decreases, the critical diameter also decreases. This is due to the fact that Pu-240 is not as easily fissionable and can absorb neutrons, leading to a smaller critical diameter when there is less of it present. The numbers in the data represent the percentage of Pu-240 in the mixture, with 0% representing 100% Pu-239.
Neutroniclad
http://ncsp.llnl.gov/ARH-600/files/pdfs/III.A.4-2.pdf
For a certain fixed density (let's say 1g/cm3) different enrichment corresponds with different cylinder diameter
20% wt 12.0in
15% wt 11.2in
10% wt 10.4in
5% wt 9.6in
0% wt 8.4in
Why the decrease of enrichment result in a smaller critical diameter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Pu-240 isn't fissionable or not as easily while it may absorb neutrons. Hence the less Pu-240, the less the critical diameter

DrDu said:
I think Pu-240 isn't fissionable or not as easily while it may absorb neutrons. Hence the less Pu-240, the less the critical diameter
Thank you for your opinion.
So you mean the number here refers to the enrichment of Pu-240? i.e. 5%wt means 5% Pu-240 with 95% Pu-239.
If so, does 0%wt refers to 100% Pu-239? Or is there something else in the plutonium?

Neutroniclad said:
So you mean the number here refers to the enrichment of Pu-240?
Yes, it says so. But I can't judge from only the graph that the rest is Pu-239. However, I would suppose so.

Likes Neutroniclad

1. What is Plutonium enrichment?

Plutonium enrichment is the process of increasing the proportion of a specific isotope of plutonium, known as plutonium-239, in a sample of plutonium. This is typically done for the production of nuclear fuel or weapons.

2. How is Plutonium enrichment measured?

Plutonium enrichment is measured using a graph called a mass spectrometer. This graph shows the relative amounts of different isotopes of plutonium in a sample, allowing scientists to determine the level of enrichment.

3. How is Plutonium enrichment represented in a graph?

In a graph, Plutonium enrichment is typically represented by a peak or spike at the specific mass-to-charge ratio of the plutonium-239 isotope. The higher the peak, the higher the level of enrichment.

4. What factors affect Plutonium enrichment?

The main factor that affects Plutonium enrichment is the type of reactor used to produce it. Different reactors have different abilities to separate the desired isotope, resulting in varying levels of enrichment.

5. Is Plutonium enrichment dangerous?

Plutonium enrichment is a highly regulated process and can be dangerous if not done properly. The main concern is the potential for nuclear proliferation or accidents, as Plutonium is a highly radioactive and toxic substance.