1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use tan function in micosoft works spreadsheet

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    IN microsoft works spread sheet how do you insert a inverse tan function. that is I know the opposite and adjacent side lengths but want to use the tan function to find the angle of a right angle triangle.Please help ,simple I know but I just can't work out how to do it. Does microsoft works work in degrees rads or grad by default?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's the same as all the other versions of excel then it is "asin(x)"
    the result is returned in radians, you can etiher use degress(asin(x)) or simply multiply by 57.3

4. Aug 23, 2008 #3
    =DEGREES(ATAN2(x,y)) will return an angle in any quadrant

Experimenting, I find that the return value, theta ranges as -180 < theta <= 180.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. Aug 23, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One thing to be careful of, excel's atan2() function has the arguements in the opposite order to most libraries which are atan2(y,x), since atan2(y,x) = atan(y/x)

6. Aug 24, 2008 #5
    Yes thankyou it works in radians. I was trying to work out a question where there is a little sphere inside a big sphere with a perfect vaccuum inbetween.the big sphere been 0.13m dia. and 1550 degrees kelvin hot. The little sphere .1m dia. and 1500 degrees kelvin. All of the radiation from the little sphere hits the big but some from the big misses the small and hits itself.What is the net radiation between them ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?