Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to visualise bilinear form and inner products?

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    Hi I'm taking abstract linear algebra course and having trouble visualising bilinear form and inner products. I can visualise vector spaces, span, dimensions etc but havent managed to figure out how to visualise this yet. Could someone please explain it to me in a visual way?
    I cant understand mathematics when I can't visualise it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Inner products are just abstracted versions of the dot product,which is really a way of measuring angles and projections. If u and v are unit vectors, then [itex] \left< u, v \right> = \cos(\theta) [/itex] where theta is the angle between u and v. It also equals the length of the projection of u onto v. If they are not unit vectors then you need to scale appropriately.

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

For completeness, the norm with respect to which [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] are unit vectors is
    [tex]\|u\| = (\langle u, u \rangle)^{1/2}[/tex]

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4
    The less detailed version of the correct explanations above:

An inner product yields a notion of length for vectors (where [itex]||x||[/itex] denotes the length of [itex]x[/itex]), which agrees quite well with our intuitions about length. For any pair of vectors [itex]x,y[/itex], the number [itex]\langle x,y\rangle[/itex] has size between zero and [itex]||x||\cdot||y||[/itex]. If it has size [itex]\approx||x||\cdot||y||[/itex], then [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are approximately parallel. If it's [itex]\approx 0[/itex], then [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are approximately perpendicular. If it's a positive number, then [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] make an acute angle (from the origin). If it's a negative number, then [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] make an obtuse angle (from the origin).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook