How to write a thank-you email to a research advisor after declining their offer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dr_Scientist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Advisor Thank you
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Dr_Scientist
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

Last term I joined the research group of one of the professors in my university, and I did a one-semester research project with him. He offered me to continue on with the project and with his group for my final year thesis, but I think I do not want to. This is because I have decided that I want to do theoretical physics, and I will join one theoretical condensed matter group.

So, I want to write him a thank-you email, for all what he has given to me. Do you guys have a sample of thank-you letter, or perhaps, could you give me ideas, tips and hints of writing one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just thank him sincerely for his offer and for a great experience working with him, and express a regret that you've already accepted an offer to work in another group.

Z
 
I would say if you can, just meet with him in person and explain to him the situation and thank him.