Letter of rec from research advisor or professor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
lonewolf219
Messages
186
Reaction score
2
I know having a letter of recommendation from a research advisor is great. However, the research advisor I am currently working with barely knows me. He will be my advisor for about 5 more weeks, but I do not see him suddenly becoming interested in my project (I'm working with the postdoc), or interested in me/my goals.

I plan to include this research experience in my graduate school applications. I will also have letters from other advisors I have done research with (I don't want to ask each advisor to write 8 letters, so I was going to include classroom instructors to spread it out)

First question: Is a letter from a research advisor who barely knows me better than a letter from a classroom instructor who does?

Second question: Will a committee look at my research experience and wonder why there are not letters from every advisor in my application?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What matters more than who writes the letter is what the letter says. You need to select people based on your best estimate of that.
 
Vanadium 50, thanks for your perspective ... Your wisdom is always appreciated !