Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How vast is the subject of Mathematics?

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    I hope my question is not that silly, because it interests me to know how big the knowledge of Mathematics has become after its long history, at least I need a simple comparison between it and Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your question is not silly at all. But the answer is difficult. It's hard to tell you how immense the field of mathematics is.

To give you an idea. Even if you were to focus on a small subfield of mathematics, there appear still more papers every day than you could possibly read.

And some proofs for theorems are 1000's of pages long. And that's just one result.

Whether it is more vast than physics, I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me.

It's long history as nothing much to do with it though. In the beginning of the 20th century, math wasn't that developed. But there was a real explosion the last 100 years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook