How would I find the volume of the solution?

• Thread starter Valenti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation was about a question from a midterm regarding finding the volume of a solution with a given molarity and molar mass. The conversation also mentioned missing variables and a possible test error. The solution involved calculating the number of moles first before determining the volume.
Valenti
Hey guys had a midterm yesterday but I got stumped on a question with really no idea how to solve it, I'm not really looking for an answer more of a what steps to solve this sort of question. I don't remember exactly what the question was but it was along the lines of Na2CO3 nH2O (This isn't the exact formula just an example since I don't recall what it was) has a molarity concentration of 0.1M find the volume of the solution when the hydrate has a molar mass of x (x was given but I don't remember what it was).

Homework Statement

Find the volume of 0.1M of Na2CO3 nH20 with a molar mass of x (x was given in midterm just not sure what it was)
Cm=0.1M
M (Na2CO3 nH20) = x
V= ?

Homework Equations

n=m/M
CM= n/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured with the molar mass of the entire hydrate given I would subtract that from the molar mass of the anhydrate then divide that by the molar mass of water, 18, in order to find out the coefficient for H2O. But from here I got stuck as I seemed to be missing another variable in order to calculate either the mass or number of mols in the hydrate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Valenti said:
Find the volume of 0.1M of Na2CO3 nH20 with a molar mass of x

Doesn't make sense as worded.

I seemed to be missing another variable

Exactly.

Borek said:
Doesn't make sense as worded.
Exactly.
Wording may be a bit off since I don't remember what it was exactly, but since these were the only variables given would it be safe to assume it was just a test error?

Assuming you have not missed something - yes, that would be my take.

I think x is the mass of the hydrate and you need to calculate first the number of moles to work out the volume.

1. What is the definition of volume?

The volume is the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object or substance.

2. How is the volume of a solution different from the volume of a solid?

The volume of a solution refers to the total amount of liquid that is present, while the volume of a solid refers to the total amount of space that the solid occupies.

3. What units are used to measure volume?

The most commonly used units for volume are milliliters (mL) and liters (L) for liquids, and cubic centimeters (cm³) and cubic meters (m³) for solids.

4. How would I find the volume of a solution using laboratory equipment?

To find the volume of a solution, you would use a graduated cylinder or a volumetric flask. The volume can be read directly from the markings on the equipment.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the volume of a solution?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the displacement method, where the volume of a solution is determined by measuring the volume of liquid displaced when a solid object is placed in the solution. Another method is the titration method, which involves measuring the volume of a solution needed to react with a known amount of another solution.