Hydrate Composition: Calculating Mole Ratio of Water and Copper Sulfate

  • Thread starter Thread starter sweet21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Composition
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
sweet21
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
when you have .283 moles of water and .503 moles of copper sulfate, how do you find the mole ratio between the water and coopper sulfate?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing the numbers.

I don't think that's the answer you are looking for, but I have no idea what the real question is.
 
You need to multiply or divide (EXCLUSIVE OR) the ratio by 1 so that each part is a natural number, or as close to natural numbers as reasonably possible.
 
Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
You need to multiply or divide (EXCLUSIVE OR) the ratio by 1 so that each part is a natural number, or as close to natural numbers as reasonably possible.

I am sure that's not what you have aimed at. Multiplying or dividing by 1 doesn't change the situation :wink:

My first idea was too that sweet should look for integer ratio, but numbers shown (283/503) lead nowhere.
 
Borek said:
I am sure that's not what you have aimed at. Multiplying or dividing by 1 doesn't change the situation :wink:

My first idea was too that sweet should look for integer ratio, but numbers shown (283/503) lead nowhere.

1 is a rational number which can be expressed as N/N for any real number N.

I did not actually try to solve the original poster's question; only offered a commonly used suggestion. If he is trying to process experimental measurements, some of the data could have errors, even somewhat small errors.
 
ok, I think i got it now, we had to use emperical formulas, my teacher helped me out a little bit, now i think i know what I am doing...:rolleyes: