Finding x in FeC2O4.xH2O: Solving for Unknown Hydrate Composition

• Thread starter rhuthwaite
  • Start date
In summary, you titrate a sample of Hydrated FeC_{2}O_{4} salt with KMnO_{4} to determine the amount of Fe ions present.
rhuthwaite
How do I find x in FeC2O4.xH2O. I am told that this is a hydrated salt of 1.75g and was dissolved in acid and made up to 250ml. A 25mL sample of this solution required 29.15mL of standardised 0.0200mol/L KMnO4 solution for complete oxidation.

I worked out n(MnO4-) = cv = 5.83 x 10^-4 moles
and n(C2O4^2-) = 1.4575 x 10^-3 moles
and c(C2O4^2-) = n/v = 0.0583 molL-1
I just don't know how to find x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well your titration gives you the quantity of Fe Ions in solution (the dissociated Iron). You can take that concentration and find the total mass in the solution, and subtracting that mass from the Hydrous compund mass you can find the mass of H2O present in the hydrated salt. Then you need to divide that mass by the molecular mass of water to find your x.

Hope that's clear...

Last edited:
Thanks for helping
I still don't really understand. I am not very good with chemistry

Ok. You have done all the hard work, you just need to make the last step. You take a fixed mass of the salt (Hydrated) and disolve it in the acid solution.

[tex]V\ =\ 250ml \ =\ 0.25dm^{3}[/tex]

[tex]m\ =\ 1.75g\ = \ 1+\frac{3}{4}=\frac{7}{4}g[/tex][tex]0.25dm^{3}[/tex] is [tex]\frac{1}{4}dm^{3}[/tex]

Thefore your concentration is simply:[tex][FeC_{2}O_{4}.xH_{2}O]\ = \ 7g\ dm^{3}[/tex]You take [tex]25ml\ = 25\times10^{-3}\ dm^{3} = 0.025dm^{3}[/tex]

And titrate it with Potasium Permanganate [tex]KMnO_{4}[/tex], For which the half-reaction is:

[tex]MnO_{4}^{-}_{(aq)}\ + \ 8H^{+}_{(aq)} \ + \ 5e^{-} \ \rightarrow \ Mn^{2+}_{(aq)} \ + \ 4H_{2}O_{(l)}[/tex]

The indicator changes color as it goes from Mn(VII) to Mn(II) and Fe is oxidised from Fe(II) to Fe(II).

[tex]Fe^{3+}_{(aq)}\ \rightarrow \ Fe^{3+}_{(aq)}\ +\ e^{-} [/tex]

If you balence the half reactions you get a 5:1 ratio of [tex]KMnO_{4}:FeC_{2}O_{4}[/tex]

This means the quantiy of [tex][Fe^{2+}_{(aq)}][/tex] is 5 times the amount of titrant used.

Last edited:
Blah, see the other post on titration...this post was taking forever to latex...

Thanks heaps!

Related to Finding x in FeC2O4.xH2O: Solving for Unknown Hydrate Composition

1. What is FeC2O4.xH2O?

FeC2O4.xH2O is a chemical compound made up of iron, carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen atoms. The "x" in the formula represents the number of water molecules present in the compound. It is also known as iron oxalate hydrate.

2. How do you find x in FeC2O4.xH2O?

To find x in FeC2O4.xH2O, you can use the molar mass of the compound. First, calculate the molar mass of FeC2O4 by adding the atomic masses of each element. Then, subtract this value from the molar mass of the compound to find the mass of water. Finally, divide the mass of water by the molar mass of water to determine the number of water molecules, which is equal to x.

3. What is the significance of finding x in FeC2O4.xH2O?

Finding x in FeC2O4.xH2O is important because it helps determine the molecular formula of the compound. It also provides information about the structure and properties of the compound, which can be useful in various fields such as medicine, agriculture, and industry.

4. How is FeC2O4.xH2O synthesized?

FeC2O4.xH2O can be synthesized by reacting iron(II) sulfate with oxalic acid in the presence of water. The resulting product is then filtered and dried to obtain FeC2O4.xH2O crystals.

5. What are the common uses of FeC2O4.xH2O?

FeC2O4.xH2O has various uses in different industries. It is commonly used as a reagent in chemical reactions and as a standard for calibrating analytical instruments. It is also used as a mordant in dyeing fabrics and as a reducing agent in photography. In addition, FeC2O4.xH2O is used in the production of pharmaceuticals and as a soil amendment in agriculture.