I am new to this quantum world,just read about fields in this

In summary, fields are variables defined at each point in space that determine the direction and strength of forces acting on objects. They exist even in empty spaces, and were necessary to explain the delay in interactions between accelerating charges, as seen in the Aharonov-Bohm effect. Fields can also refer to the potential of the field, and not just the strength, in which case the charge is only affected by the field at its location.
nouveau_riche
i am new to this quantum world,just read about fields in this domain
the question is-what is field?,is it there in empty spaces?
why was the need of fields when we have forces as were in Newton model?(i guess this could go philosophical but i'l like to have the scientific one)

any help would be grateful

Physics news on Phys.org
hi nouveau_riche! :smile:

Newton had forces acting at a distance

eg one electric charge can be affected by another charge even though they are nowhere near each other

fields mean that the charge isn't affected by other (distant) charges, it's only affected by the field where it is :wink:

(and yes, fields would exist in "empty space" if there was any, but there isn't because of all those neutrinos, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and so on)

Field is a variable that is defined at each point in space(whether it is empty or not)

Even before in quantum theory,the need for field arises in electrodynamics where they are required to carry energy and momentum,so as to save energy conservation.

tiny-tim said:

eg one electric charge can be affected by another charge even though they are nowhere near each other

fields mean that the charge isn't affected by other (distant) charges, it's only affected by the field where it is :wink:

(and yes, fields would exist in "empty space" if there was any, but there isn't because of all those neutrinos, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and so on)

tenchotomic said:
Field is a variable that is defined at each point in space(whether it is empty or not)

I don't mean to hijack here, so if the OP is still confused I'll take a break, but I think my question is somewhat relevant. In another thread awhile back I brought up this idea with the gravitational field. Normally, a field interacts locally with matter (like what was written up above). And in GR we have that the gravitational field intereacts with its corresponding matter locally also. But locality is defined by the gravitational field. That is, distance is defined on the spacetime manifold. Then how is the gravitational field local to anything if the gravitational field is necessary a priori to define locality?

Let's say I am an electron. I can interact with the electromagnetic field at some coordinate [itex]x_\alpha[/itex] which are coordinates cast across the spacetime manifold (the gravitational field). Now, while in the grand scheme coordinates might be unimportant, locality isn't. But ``close-ness'' is defined by
[tex]
s=\int \sqrt{g_{\alpha\beta}dx^\alpha dx^\beta}
[/tex]
which depends on the gravitational field. How can this same equation be applied to (what I have been referring to as) the distance between the gravitational field and matter? Surely the gravitational field must also be local to matter in order to interact, but how is locality defined without the gravitational field before hand?

Sorry to re-phrase so many times, I just want to try and be clear.

Thanks,

tiny-tim said:

there was an experiment taken by david bohm in which an electron could feel the effect of magnetic field of a system in a region where the magnetic field due to that system was zero
,so i guess your definition is not supported there

tenchotomic said:

Even before in quantum theory,the need for field arises in electrodynamics where they are required to carry energy and momentum,so as to save energy conservation.

please elaborate a bit theoretically

nouveau_riche said:
please elaborate a bit theoretically

Consider interaction between two accelerating point charges.The effect of motion of one charge will arrive on another charge only after some delay(since no information can travel faster than c).This delay can be explained only by postulating that an electromagnetic field propagate at speed of c from one charge and produces an effect on another charge.

nouveau_riche said:
i am new to this quantum world,just read about fields in this domain
the question is-what is field?,is it there in empty spaces?
why was the need of fields when we have forces as were in Newton model?(i guess this could go philosophical but i'l like to have the scientific one)

A field is what occupies space and makes it nonempty. For example, the gravitational field has three components and tells the direction of the gravitational force at each point in space.

tiny-tim said:

fields mean that the charge isn't affected by other (distant) charges, it's only affected by the field where it is :wink: on)
nouveau_riche said:
there was an experiment taken by david bohm in which an electron could feel the effect of magnetic field of a system in a region where the magnetic field due to that system was zero
,so i guess your definition is not supported there

yes and no …

by "field" we usually mean the strength of the field, and yes there are rare cases (the aharonov-bohm :wink: effect … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohm-Aharonov_effect#Potentials_vs._fields") in which the local strength is irrelevant, and we must instead allow the use of strength at a distance

but "field" can also mean the potential of the field (or both the potential and the strength), and in that case what i said is correct …

fields mean that the charge isn't affected by other (distant) charges, it's only affected by the field where it is :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

A. Neumaier said:
A field is what occupies space and makes it nonempty. For example, the gravitational field has three components and tells the direction of the gravitational force at each point in space.

do not introduce gravitational fields,they include geometry

tiny-tim said:

yes and no …

by "field" we usually mean the strength of the field, and yes there are rare cases (the aharonov-bohm :wink: effect … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohm-Aharonov_effect#Potentials_vs._fields") in which the local strength is irrelevant, and we must instead allow the use of strength at a distance

but "field" can also mean the potential of the field (or both the potential and the strength), and in that case what i said is correct …

fields mean that the charge isn't affected by other (distant) charges, it's only affected by the field where it is :smile:

what exactly is charge?
is charge the property of field or field the property of charge?

Last edited by a moderator:
nouveau_riche said:
what exactly is charge?

uhh? :confused:

charge is charge​
is charge the property of field or field the property of charge?

neither :confused:

(though the divergence of the field strength is equal to the charge density: Gauss' law)

tiny-tim said:
uhh? :confused:

charge is charge​
why is it charge?

nouveau_riche said:
why is it charge?

everything has to be something :wink:

everything else is something else :smile:

tiny-tim said:
everything has to be something :wink:

everything else is something else :smile:

you really are misinterpreting my statements

firstly,suppose that charge is not yet being discovered,how did the physicist got into that(physical property of charge)?

just by seeing the behaviour of particles i n presence of other one,in that case they still don't know the charge of other,and when they found the repulsion ,how can be they so sure of their similar nature of something (as you say as charge)?

tiny-tim said:
(though the divergence of the field strength is equal to the charge density: Gauss' law)

Therefore charge is a property of the electromagnetic field in a given volume -- namely the integral over the charge density in that volume.

1. What are fields in the quantum world?

Fields in the quantum world are physical quantities that exist in space and time and can interact with particles. They describe the properties of particles, such as their mass and charge, and how they interact with each other.

2. How are fields related to particles in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, fields are considered to be the fundamental entities that particles are made of. Particles are seen as excitations or disturbances in the field, similar to waves on the surface of a pond. This relationship between fields and particles is described by the famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What is the significance of fields in quantum mechanics?

Fields play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They allow us to describe the interactions between particles and how they change over time. Without fields, we would not be able to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles.

4. How do fields interact with each other in the quantum world?

In the quantum world, fields can interact with each other through a process called particle exchange. This involves one field emitting a particle, which is then absorbed by another field. This interaction is described by mathematical equations and can result in the creation or destruction of particles.

5. Are there different types of fields in the quantum world?

Yes, there are several types of fields in the quantum world, including the electromagnetic field, the Higgs field, and the gravitational field. Each type of field has its own unique properties and interactions with particles, which are essential for understanding the fundamental forces of nature.