I am not getting what .NET is actually and what it does?

• MHB
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the purpose and function of .NET. It is described as a high level overview of what .NET does and is often encountered when trying to run applications. Some people compare it to Java and mention that it helps with creating applications for various platforms. The slides given by the professor mention that C# is a language similar to Java and .NET is a set of libraries similar to those used in Java development.
shivajikobardan
1654917118295.png
As you can see we are not learning the real programming but high level overview of what .NET does. The textbook that I have (which isn't a official textbook but a solution manual forced to buy by teachers)

It is pretty confusing. What are the things that it does?
The only time I have encountered .NET is while trying to run applications, it asks for "download .NET".

Some are saying C# uses dotnet and sth. It is just confusing me. Some saying it is like java, in what sense? And there is .NET framework, .NET platform. One thing that I have somehow managed to enter my mind is that it helps to make applications for mobile, web, desktop and anything you want. (Not sure how it does by just 1 .NET.)

The below are the slides given by our professor
1654917230830.png

1654917247936.png

1654917275524.png

Technology news on Phys.org
C# is a language similar to java.
.NET is a set of libraries similar to the libraries that are provided or can be downloaded when developing with java.

1. What is .NET and what does it do?

.NET is a software development framework created by Microsoft. It provides a platform for building and running applications on various devices and operating systems. It includes a large library of pre-written code and tools that allow developers to easily create and manage applications.

2. How is .NET different from other programming languages?

.NET is not a programming language itself, but rather a framework that supports multiple languages such as C#, VB.NET, and F#. It also differs from other frameworks in that it is cross-platform, meaning applications can be developed and run on different operating systems.

3. What are the benefits of using .NET?

There are several benefits to using .NET for software development. It offers a large and well-supported library of code, making it easier and faster to develop applications. It also has built-in security features and is designed to be scalable and efficient for large projects.

4. Is .NET free to use?

Yes, .NET is free and open-source. Microsoft offers a free community edition of Visual Studio, the integrated development environment (IDE) for .NET, and the .NET framework can be downloaded for free from their website. However, some advanced features and tools may require a paid subscription.

5. How can I learn .NET?

There are many resources available for learning .NET, including online tutorials, courses, and documentation on Microsoft's website. You can also join online communities and forums to connect with other developers and ask for advice. Additionally, there are many books and in-person classes available for learning .NET.