I am trying to run the avira and malware bytes in safe mode

  • Thread starter Thread starter gtguhoij
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    bytes Mode
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 3K views
gtguhoij
Messages
33
Reaction score
2
TL;DR
I am trying to run the avira and malware bytes in safe mode but it doesn't work.
The first method doesn't work. The second method does work but I can't run avira and malware bytes. Can someone help? First method
I hold the shift button and click the restart button.

I click on troubleshoot then click on advance objects then I click on see more recovery options.

The problem is instead of saying Start-up settings it says system image recovery.

What do I do to fix this?

Second method
Windows - Accessing Safe Mode using msconfig

Click the Start button.

Type msconfig and press enter.

In the Boot tab, click the checkbox next to Safe Mode.

If you need to use the internet while in Safe Mode, click Network.

Click Okay.

Your computer will now boot in Safe Mode each time its turned on.
This works but the internet doe not work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gtguhoij said:
This works but the internet doe not work.
No, this is by design. Safe mode does not start up any services, and Internet access is a service.
gtguhoij said:
I click on troubleshoot then click on advance objects then I click on see more recovery options.

The problem is instead of saying Start-up settings it says system image recovery.
Again, that is by design, To start in safe mode, you press the F4 function key repeatedly after restart (at least I think it is F4, I haven't done it for at least 5 years). This brings up a menu where safe mode boot is an option.
 
I'm assuming you think you may have malware. The big AV providers provide "bootable" disks you can use which will run everything offline so anything on the computer can't interfere with it. Alternatively if you can find a portable version of Windows you can also run "portable / doesn't require install" version of scanners so you can again scan offline as such.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara