I convinced myself that I could study engineering

• Thread starter Sofa
  • Start date
In summary, I convinced myself that I could study engineering despite initial doubts and have since pursued my passion with determination and success.
Sofa
How did you find PF?
Online searches
I'm not very bright, and have always been pretty garbage with math (and therefore physics). I'm under no illusion that pursuing a mechanical engineering degree was a good idea, but after spending some time in the Coast Guard, I dipped into the job market to find myself woefully underqualified. An Associate's degree in machining and a Solidworks certification don't cut the mustard, apparently: Most employers offering the sort of work I'm looking for seem to require at least a Bachelor's degree in an engineering field.

I've gone back to school for Mechanical Engineering to remedy that problem, as well as fix the being-bad-at-math thing, but I might need some help with that. Meanwhile, I figure helping other folks in my position with stuff I have gotten through my skull can help me master those subjects. At the time of posting, I'm currently in my freshman year, and am having difficulty with engineering physics, particularly the assignments posted on MasteringPhysics.

Hobbies include CAD and 3D modeling / animation, digital painting, making mods for video games (provided no coding/scripting is involved since I can't code to save my life), playing video games which involve building stuff (some favorites include Stormworks, SimpleRockets2, Kerbal Space Program, From the Depths, and Armored Combat Framework for Garry's Mod), playing video games which do not necessarily involve building stuff (recent favorites include Kenshi, Intruder, Post Scriptum, Mordhau, and Foxhole), hiking, offroading, cosplay, trap-shooting, singing, military history, cooking, and eating a lot of food. I haven't had much time for any of these, though, since I got a lot of catching up to do for school.

Likes PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, and thank you for your service (Army brat here). :smile:

If you end up with questions about how to post or other procedural questions, feel free to send me a message (click on my username/avatar and Start a Conversation). You will get great quality help here.