Work and study engineering. is it possible?

In summary: I'm not sure if this is still the case now or not.In summary, it is possible for an individual to work and study engineering in the US. However, it is easier to do so if you have a scholarship and have been working in the past.
pcsx22
I'm about to finish my high school and since I'm really interested in stuffs like mathematics, physics and computing I want get into electronics or computer engineering.

I live in a third world country and I really want to go to U.S to have a engineering degree so if I go there I'll have to do a side job to manage my living and I fear that if do a job I won't be able to concentrate on my studies. so is it possible for me to work and study engineering without flunking?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you describe is not usually possible on student visas in the US.

I, and most of my friends, have worked while studying engineering and done quite well. I have never lived nor worked in the US so I'm not sure how many hours you will need to work to live sustainably, but my opinion is that it is very possible if you manage your time well. For reference, I live in Australia, so the situation may be very different for the US, I'm not sure.

Legalities of immigration aside, you ask if it is possible to work and get a degree. The answer is yes, I worked full time and went to school part time to earn my Electrical Engineering degree. It took nearly twice as long, but I think I am better off for it. I have a friend and colleague from Jamaica who also managed to do this. However, that was close to 30 years ago.

Given the ridiculous state of US immigration law (detested by nearly everyone) I will not venture any opinions as to whether what you suggest is still possible. I suggest you inquire with the nearest US consulate for guidance.

pcsx22 said:
I'm about to finish my high school and since I'm really interested in stuffs like mathematics, physics and computing I want get into electronics or computer engineering.

I live in a third world country and I really want to go to U.S to have a engineering degree so if I go there I'll have to do a side job to manage my living and I fear that if do a job I won't be able to concentrate on my studies. so is it possible for me to work and study engineering without flunking?
Maybe the US Consulate interviewers will fail you at once if you answer Yes to their question as of whether you will study and work at the same time. If you move to the US to study, then just say study, and show them the documents that you have a saving account with enough money for at least 1 year of study. If you ask for a work visa, you might need to ask your manager or his representative to walk with you directly into your nearest Consulate and let your boss deal with them; by this way you DEFINITELY got the visa.
If you are granted a scholarship by some organization in the US, the organization does have enough files about you and itself to take you off. No worries!
This is just a particular case in my area at least when asking for a US visa.

1. Can I work while studying engineering?

Yes, it is possible to work while studying engineering. Many students choose to work part-time or pursue internships in order to gain practical experience and supplement their income.

2. Will working affect my academic performance?

It depends on your time management and prioritization skills. While working may add to your workload, it can also provide valuable real-world experience and help you develop important skills such as time management and multitasking.

3. How many hours should I work while studying?

This is a personal decision and will depend on your individual circumstances. It is important to find a balance between work and study, and to ensure that your workload is manageable and does not negatively impact your academic performance.

4. Will having a job help me in my engineering career?

Having a job while studying engineering can provide valuable experience and skills that will be beneficial in your future career. It can also help you network and make connections in the industry.

5. What types of jobs can I have while studying engineering?

There are various types of jobs that you can have while studying engineering, such as internships, part-time positions, research assistantships, or even freelance work. It is important to choose a job that aligns with your career goals and allows you to gain relevant experience in your field of study.