I do not recognize:$$B=\frac{\mu_0 I R^2}{2 R}$$Where did you find it?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter nerdsamurai22
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
nerdsamurai22
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
When dealing with uniform displacement:
I get confused as too know exactly how find and properly utilize the given radii.
Determine the magnitude
i.e.:
given:
R=3.00cm
id=.500A
r=radial distances of displacement 2.00cm, 500cm

b=(mu id)/2pi r
b=(mu id) R^2/2pi r

there are two different variations of the formula^ that correlate with the given parameters. How do I approach this problem? What context clues do I need to look for?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
nerdsamurai22 said:
When dealing with uniform displacement:
I get confused as too know exactly how find and properly utilize the given radii.
Determine the magnitude
i.e.:
given:
R=3.00cm
id=.500A
r=radial distances of displacement 2.00cm, 500cm

b=(mu id)/2pi r
b=(mu id) R^2/2pi r

there are two different variations of the formula^ that correlate with the given parameters. How do I approach this problem? What context clues do I need to look for?

Hi nerdsamurai22! Welcome to MHB! :)

Can you clarify what your symbols represent?
Do you perhaps have a drawing?Anyway, the formula:
$$B=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}$$
belongs to a straight wire with current $I$. It gives the magnetic field $B$ at distance $r$ from the wire.I do not recognize:
$$B=\frac{\mu_0 I R^2}{2\pi r}$$
Where did you find it?Furthermore, the formula:
$$B=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 R}$$
gives the magnetic field strength in the center of a wire loop with radius $R$ carrying current $I$.