Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News I feel just like this sometimes, lately

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I feel just like this sometimes, lately. (Well, first since around early November of last year, then pretty persistently since late January.) (Actually, it really first all started back in late June.)

1486229888-20170204.png

[Source: http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/a-realistic-alien-invasion]

[Edit: I'm kidding of course. Yet every day I palm my face, wondering how we got here.]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know what you mean. I've felt like issuing a formal apology to the rest of the world for a few weeks now.
    :doh:

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Modern western civilization is awesome. I don't get the despondency.

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it is.

6. Feb 4, 2017 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is awesome :smile:, assuming that it still exists and isn't on its deathbed :nb).

Hopefully, we can pull ourselves out of this mess in time, one way or the other.

7. Feb 4, 2017 #6

russ_watters

Well, there was a car accident on the highway this morning that cost me 10 minutes on my drive. Is that the "mess" you meant? They were cleaning it up when I drove past, so it should be fine by now.*

Life has been soooooo good for so long that many westerners have never seen anything significantly bad and most others don't remember. As a result, people perceive anything less than their view of perfect as a civilization-ending catastrophe. People need to chillax. Enjoy a Super Bowl party tomorrow.

*That's only half a joke: it is also related to a real example of the problem I was describing in the middle: a couple of years ago on that very same road toward the quiet part of the suburban southeastern Pennsylvania, a guy shot a woman through her car in a road rage incident. She lived and reported she had no idea what she'd even done to anger him. Odds are, she was going to slow or accidentally cut him off as he was driving in the Indy 500 -- which was a serious enough #firstworldproblems to be worthy of shooting her. That is the current state of affairs in the US.

8. Feb 4, 2017 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, it's like watching the movie Idiocracy in real life and thinking "Oh, now I see how they got in that situation".

9. Feb 5, 2017 #8
    So we've got a new President who is lacking in experience, got elected with a hollow campaign slogan chanted incessantly by large groups of his supporters, many would say got into office with votes along racial lines, with his supporters giving him accolades before he even does anything positive, and may not have gotten into office w/o the help of leaked information.

But many who are despondent today are singing the praises of former President Obama, who I described above in 2009. So maybe give the new guy a chance?

One pundit said something like - the people who are willing to give President Trump a chance take his words figuratively, but seriously; while others take him literally, but not seriously.

And if some of the above went over your heads, the accolades refer to the Nobel Peace Prize, and the leaked information was the "sealed" divorce papers of his rival (Jack Ryan, his wife is Jeri Ryan, well known to Star Trek fans) in the 2004 Illinois Senate race...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeri_Ryan

Getting to the Senate gave Obama the exposure he needed to make a Presidential run. W/o that, who knows?

10. Feb 5, 2017 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trump has his chance and his actions speak volumns. I've never liked people who try to make themselves look good by tearing others down. Doing it on the campaign trail is unfortunately normal in this country even though he took it to a whole new level. Anyone who disagrees with him gets the focus of his inane tweets - judges, gold star families, TV personalities, etc. Now that he's on the world stage, he does the same thing to every country except Russia. His playbook has one play - scorched earth. The rest of the world will tire of this and will likely retaliate in ways that will hurt this country. Of course, for Trump's supporters, it will be because the rest of the world didn't give him a chance.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  11. Feb 5, 2017 #10
    And I agree with much of that. I cringe at some of the things he has said, or at least the way he said them. And you are free of course to disagree with my next statement, and I expect you will, but I get the sense (to be proven yet), that in his heart, he wants to do the right thing. I never got that sense from HRC, she just lied to the public about serious matters (handling of classified material), and not so serious matters ("under sniper fire" - she wasn't, so why lie?) - whatever seemed convenient or expedient. No need to rehash that, but we had a choice to make. I understand, and respect that other people had reasons to make another choice. I voted for Bernie in the Primary, because my top choices on the R side didn't have a chance at that point (Carly Fiorina was #1 for me at the time - but she never gained traction). And of course your 'tearing others down' comment goes both ways - let's not forget HRC's "deplorable' comment:

Now that's how to gain friends and influence people! Not!

I will add, I don't think people would have such a negative view of Pres Trump if they discounted the media, and went to the source of the information to understand the full context - no editing, no editorializing. My news feed is full of headlines "xyz happened, (and gosh is it bad!)", instead of "xyz happened" and letting ME decide if it is good or bad. It's getting tiring to have to search down sources for just about everything I read or hear these days. I only have time for so much of it, just gotta tune out the rest, because I can't trust it.

And by give him a chance, I mean more than two weeks.

12. Feb 5, 2017 #11

Mark44

Sounds pretty much like Jan. 20, 2009.

• Lacking in experience - check, unless you count "community organizer" as meaningful preparation for becoming a U.S. president
    • Hollow campaign slogan - check, "Hope and Change"
    • Accolades - check, Nobel Peace Prize

13. Feb 6, 2017 #12

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure that you know that she said that in response to the frequent news reports of Trump supporters who were openly assaulting protesters at his rallies - egged on by Trump no less. You want people to understand Trump in context and yet you are taking Clinton's deplorables comment out of context.
    I have completely stopped watching the evening news because I can't stomach hearing about his latest tweets against his pariah of the day and how the world is reacting. The damage that he has already done to our county's relationships around the world is astounding. To me, he has epically failed in just two weeks both at home and abroad. What would be an acceptable amount of time in your view? It would also be nice to know what you think would be considered a failure on his part that doesn't involve comparing it to Clinton or Obama. I'm really trying to understand the mindset of giving him more of a chance than he's had already.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  14. Feb 6, 2017 #13
    I was going to jokingly say "eight years?", but you probably wouldn't see the humor in that and it might ruin your day. ;)

Well, I would say certainly not until he at least has his cabinet in place, plus some time for them to actually get settled into the job. But hey, that's just me.

As far as back-and-forth on the 'deplorables' comment, this is a "Current News" thread, and I'm afraid those discussions might get shut down by the mods? I don't know how strict they are on that.

I have also almost completely stopped watching any news because the media is so lazy, sloppy, just trying to stir things up for ratings, or just plain biased. I see the headlines in my news feeds, and try to research the sources if I feel it is important for me to understand. And we are not alone, the news media's favor-ability ratings are in the tank.

15. Feb 6, 2017 #14

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Still pretty vague on the time plus no statement of what failure would be in your view.
    Yes, I'm sure that this is pushing the limits of the mod's tolerance but that didn't stop you from originally going into detail about Clinton's deplorables and the Obama "what if" scenario. I don't wish to derail the thread any further since it will be locked eventually. I just hoped to get some straight answers about Trump without more stories of everything but Trump.

16. Feb 6, 2017 #15

russ_watters

100 days seems to be a common benchmark. It is enough time to get some significant policy work done -- though part of his travel ban was for 120 days, so that is the deadline for it to be replaced with a permanent policy.
    That is going to be difficult because people aren't going to agree on many/most policy actions, so one person's success is another's failure....though I guess if he says he's going to do something and then doesn't, that's by definition a failure.
    It's pretty straightforward: he has done very little of what he is likely to do in the next few months and you can't judge things that haven't happened.

17. Feb 6, 2017 #16

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you for the direct answers Russ. I understand that failure is going to be a relative term. I have friends who are ardent Trump supporters and have yet to have one tell me what failure would be (or has been) without redirecting the conversation to the Democrats, 'demon' media or some other topic to avoid a direct answer. Many of them look the other way no matter what he does. It really does interest me in a "raised Spock eyebrow" kind of way. Clearly, he will have his chance because he is the president. We will see what the next few months brings. I just hope that I don't need to literally apply SPF 1,000,000 during that time.

18. Feb 6, 2017 #17
    What does it mean to give or not to give president Trump a chance? Exactly what chance is being given or not given? Exactly how do we recognize that this chance has been given or not given? What does it mean? Show me the chance. Those who keep saying this, I don't think can explain. It's talking without a meaning.

19. Feb 6, 2017 #18

russ_watters

I'd caution you not to fall into the same hyperbolic loop your Trump supporting friends are, though. When you describe a couple of bad phone calls and a minor immigration policy that you really really dislike as an "epic failure", you don't leave yourself much verbiage to describe what could happen in the wide gulf between where we are today and lead sunglasses.

20. Feb 6, 2017 #19

russ_watters

What people are referring to is not passing judgement on his overall presidency before he's had a chance to do very much.

21. Feb 6, 2017 #20

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Noted. Describing things as an epic failure was a bit much. The SPF comment was reference to his previous tweet telling the Senate to "go nuclear" in order to confirm his Supreme Court nominee. I'm hoping that he uses some restraint before tweeting the pentagon or other countries something like that so that I don't have to get out the extra strength sunscreen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook