I feel like a dunce. I can't find the error

• Thread starter mrspeedybob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation discusses a video in which a person uses simple algebra to prove that 4=5. However, upon closer examination, it is revealed that the use of variables A, B, and C is meant to confuse the viewer. The video also demonstrates that dividing both sides of an equation by zero is not a valid mathematical operation. The conversation concludes with a summary of the lesson learned from the video.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In line 7, B - C - A = 0. The equation A*0 = B*0 does not imply that A = B.

The use of A, B and C is to obfuscate what is going on. If you substitute in the values, it is obvious.

Line 7:
[tex]A(B-C-A) = B (B-C-A)[/tex]
He then divided by B-C-A.

But B-C-A = 0, and so Line 7 is nothing more than
[tex]4 \times 0 = 5 \times 0[/tex]

I see.
So the lesson learned here is that when deviding both sides of an equation by anything the resulting equation is only valid where that thing ≠0
Thanks.

mrspeedybob said:
I see.
So the lesson learned here is that when deviding both sides of an equation by anything the resulting equation is only valid where that thing ≠0
Thanks.
A shorter way of saying that is that you can't divide both sides of an equation by zero.

What is the error in my work?

It is difficult to determine the specific error without more information about your work. However, some common errors in scientific research include incorrect data analysis, flawed experimental design, and misinterpretation of results.

Why do I feel like a dunce?

Feeling like a dunce is a common experience in the scientific community. It is important to remember that making mistakes is a normal part of the learning process and can help us improve our skills and knowledge.

How can I improve my scientific skills?

Improving scientific skills takes time and practice. Some ways to improve include seeking feedback from peers and mentors, staying up-to-date on current research, and continuously learning new techniques and methods.

What can I do if I can't find the error?

If you are having trouble finding the error, it can be helpful to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. You may also consider seeking help from a colleague or mentor who can provide a fresh perspective.

How can I avoid feeling like a dunce in the future?

Feeling like a dunce is a natural part of the scientific process. However, some ways to minimize these feelings include staying organized and thorough in your work, seeking guidance when needed, and maintaining a growth mindset that embraces mistakes as opportunities for learning.