Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I had my first driving lesson today

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

[​IMG]

So...Yeah, watch out :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2
    I remember my first driving lesson. Teacher took us (me and 2 others) to one of the medium-traffic, medium-speed streets.

There were no survivors.

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    I just thought of such a great un-PC joke. AHAHAHHAAh.....

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4
    That's great, just remember once you get your license be sure to forget most of what you learned and drive the right way haha.

6. Feb 5, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

When you take your driving exam, just follow my girlfriend's advice "wear a very short skirt".

I flunked parallel parking, but got my license. I wore a very short skirt.

If you are male, I'm sorry for you. You will actually need to know how to drive. :tongue:

7. Feb 5, 2008 #6
    Not true. When I took my test, the tester told me to park against the curb. Not parallel, just against it, no cars closeby. I ram straight into the curb. He goes "WTF are you doing?", but we keep going. Near the end, he tells me to do it again, and I just stop in the middle of the street.

He basically says "Okay, I'll give you your license, but you have to practice that..."

8. Feb 5, 2008 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

Yes I am male, I thought you had figured that out by now :uhh:

License is four months away, I'm sure I'll be fine:uhh:

9. Feb 6, 2008 #8
    But then again other examiners might have liked to see you back. :uhh:

10. Feb 6, 2008 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I messed up my parallel parking and I passed.

11. Feb 6, 2008 #10
    My motto, Peddle to the metal, and don't look back. Of course if you don't live in Michigan, it may not apply.

12. Feb 6, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On my (first) driver's test, I drove the wrong way up a one-way street and promptly failed.

Now I'm teaching my daughter to drive...it's so stressful I need to take a paper bag to breathe into. After a half-hour I'm just done, my last nerve fried. They just don't make antiperspirants strong enough.

13. Feb 6, 2008 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't really have any disasters when I was learning to drive. I must have been very lucky.

14. Feb 6, 2008 #13
    I have another couple years until then. Wish me luck!

15. Feb 6, 2008 #14
    Rent a nice Porsche 911.

My reasoning:
    • The instructor will spent the whole test "checking out the car"
    • Small enough that parallel parking isn't that bad
    • You can go 90 and it feels like 45
    • Barter with the instructor (test drive for liscense)
    just a though.....

16. Feb 6, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know a lot of people who were let slide on parallel parking. They seemed content with "close enough" as long as no cones were knocked over in the process. It probably depends on whether your testing site is a place where you're going to need to do a lot of parallel parking or not. I would hope anyone taking a driving test near NYC would learn to parallel park, but if you're out in the 'burbs where everything is paved parking lots, you'll have forgotten what you learned before you need to do it again anyway.

17. Feb 6, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

When I took my road test, it was in my father's big ole boat - a 1966 Chevy Impala. After we left the court-house parking lot, the examiner pointed to the first open parallel parking spot and said "Park there", then when I pulled past the spot to back in, he said "This spot's too small. Keep going." I asked if it was OK if I tried that spot anyway and he let me. I swiveled that big car in, and he said "Drive back to the courthouse" and he signed my license. He didn't check my lane-changing, make me park on a hill or any of the other stuff they typically did then.

Back then, they didn't use traffic cones, boxes, etc for parallel parking. The examiners made you park in spots between parked cars.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  18. Feb 7, 2008 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not unheard of. A few years ago, a man decided Rampart Range would be a good place to teach his daughter to drive. Dirt roads, low speeds, not much traffic. All she has to do is stay on the road.

And even if she fails to accomplish that directive, she'll usually eventually wind up back on the road since there's a lot of switch backs.

The downside of that strategy was the father didn't survive the twenty-some rolls it took to reach the road down below.

The girl survived, but I always kind of wondered how the rest of her driver training went.

19. Feb 7, 2008 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Parking is just one of those things that take a lot of practice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least I don't park in the ditch:

[​IMG]

20. Feb 7, 2008 #19

Mk

Hey! I appreciate you not using pictures that are too big!!

21. Feb 7, 2008 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fortunately, the parking spaces weren't any bigger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?