I have no answers for these questions... me

• MHB
  • Thread starter boujeemath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving geometry problems from a Cambridge book, specifically focusing on question 22 and 23. The first question involves finding the equation of a line with given intercepts and midpoint, while the second question asks for the equation of a line when the given point is the midpoint of its intercepts. The solution to the second question leads to the equation y=2x+4.
boujeemath
I'm working on my geometry during winter break and I'm solving questions from the cambridge book but they don't have worked soutions :((

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 12.09.59 pm.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi boujeemath, welcome to MHB!

For question 22, we can let the $y$-intercept be $(0,\,a)$ and $x$-intercept be $(b,\,0)$. Since we are told $M(4,\,3)$ is the midpoint of the intercepts, we have

$\left(\dfrac{b}{2},\,\dfrac{a}{2}\right)= (4,\,3)$

That gives us $b=8$ and $a=6$.

Now, you have found the intercepts, can you proceed to find the equation of the line?

To follow up, once we have the $x$- and $y$ intercepts, we know the gradient, $m=-\dfrac{y\text{-intercept}}{x\text{-intercept}}=-\dfrac{6}{8}=-\dfrac{3}{4}$.

Therefore, taking $m=-\dfrac{3}{4}$ and the point $(8,\,0)$, we find that the point=gradient form of the straight line is:

$y-0=\dfrac{3}{4}\left(x-8\right)$

Problem 23 asks you to, first, write the general equation for a line through the point (-1, 2) with gradient m. I don't know what form you have learned as the general equation for a line through (a, b) with gradient m. One is [tex]\frac{y- b}{x- a}= m[/tex]. Another is y- b= m(x- a) which you can get by multiplying both sides of the first by x- a. Here a= -1 and b= 2. so y- 2= m(x+ 1) or y= m(x+1)+ 2 or y= mx+ m+ 2..

The problem then asks you to find the equation of the specific line when (-1, 2) is "the midpoint of the intercepts with the x and y axes". y- 2= m(x+ 1) "intercepts" the y-axis where x= 0. That is y- 2= m(1) so y= m+ 2. The y-intercept is (0, m+2). It intercepts the x- axis where y= m(x+ 1)+ 2= 0. m(x+ 1)= -2. x+1= -2/m, x= -1- 2/m. The x-intercept is (-1-2/m, 0). The midpoint is (-1/2-1/m, m/2+ 1). You want -1/2- 1/m= -1 and m/2+ 1= 2. Of course, that is asking for one value to satisfy two differential equations. In general we cannot do that but from m/2+ 1= 2 we have m/2= 1 and then m= 2. Putting that into -1/2- 1/m= -1 we get -1/2- 1/2= -1 which is a true statement! The line we want is y= 2(x+ 1)+ 2= 2x+ 4.

ChecK: The line y= 2x+ 4 has x-intercept (0, 4) and y-intercept (-2, 0). The midpoint is ((-2+ 0/2, (4+ 0)/2)= (-1, 2).

1. Can you explain the meaning of "I have no answers for these questions"?

This phrase typically implies that the person does not have any knowledge or information to provide in response to the questions being asked. It could also suggest that the questions are complex or difficult to answer.

2. Why don't you have answers for these questions?

There could be a variety of reasons for not having answers to certain questions. It could be due to lack of knowledge or expertise in that particular subject, or it could be because the questions are open-ended and do not have a definite answer. It's also possible that the person simply hasn't had the opportunity to research or think about the questions in depth.

3. Is it okay to not have answers for certain questions?

Absolutely. It's impossible for one person to have all the answers to every question. We all have areas of expertise and knowledge gaps. It's important to acknowledge when we don't have the answers and be open to learning and seeking out information.

4. What should I do if I have no answers for these questions?

If you are the one asking the questions, it's important to be understanding and patient. If someone else is asking you the questions, it's okay to admit that you don't have the answers and suggest finding resources or seeking out someone who may have more knowledge on the topic.

5. How can I find answers to these questions?

There are several ways to find answers to questions. You can do research online, consult with experts or professionals in the field, read books or articles, or attend workshops or seminars on the topic. It's also helpful to have an open mind and be willing to learn and seek out new information.