1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have variance of response. How can I find it's MSE?

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    To All,

I did a study and my response is defined as y = b1x1 + b2x2 + e where e ~N(0,1).
    I have y~N(4,33). In my data results, I did an ordinary least squares regression model
    for y = b1x1+b2x2+ e. The ANOVA is telling me the mean of y is 4, but MSE is 1.

So here is my question. If I know y~N(4,33). How can I determine the ANOVA MSE
    is going to be 1?

Thanks,
    HF08

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    I think you are getting a bit confused here. [tex]\underline{y}=X\underline{\beta} + \underline{\epsilon}[/tex] is your model? There is no way that [tex] y [/tex] could be [tex] N(4,33) [/tex] when your [tex] \epsilon_i [/tex] are [tex] N(0,1) [/tex]. Also that ANOVA does not make sense if you have [tex] \epsilon_i [/tex] as there is no variance to analyse. In this case ANOVA is right. As
    [tex] Var(y_i)=Var(\mu_i+\epsilon_i)=Var(\epsilon_i)=1 [/tex].

What sofware are you using for this? Try using R. Don't bother with saying that [tex] \epsilon_i [/tex] are [tex] N(0,1) [/tex] unless you have a very good reason to know this. Usualy [tex] \epsilon_i [/tex] are [tex] N(0,\sigma^2) [/tex] where you will have to estimate [tex] \sigma^2 [/tex]. In R the model you have can be set up by lm(y~b1+b2-1,data=dataname).

Hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?