Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just found an joke entry on wiki

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    Guess I'll have to post it here before wiki site maintainers delete it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailurophobia

Welcome the the crazy world! There are people, famous ones, scared of cats!

Hahaha, and the author of this entry went so far as to give the term a greecian origin, hilarious!

And let's take a look at the list of famous victims:

Napoleon Bonaparte
    Julius Caesar
    Alexander the Great
    Adolf Hitler
    Genghis Khan
    Benito Mussolini

Basically all those historic figures that had their hands drenched in blood!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What makes you think this is a joke entry, and what makes you think the wiki site maintainers are going to delete it? The entry is about a real phobia, the title of the article is the correct word that names that phobia. This particular wiki article has been around since May 2007, so the odds that it will be deleted are rather low.

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3
    Yea, right, Napoleon, Caesar are afraid of cats.

As for the long remaining time, I'd say wiki is a big site, takes lots man-hour to maintain.

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4
    I wonder where they get the facts to back up that those people hada fear of cats. And no, I couldn't be bothered to find out for myself.

6. Aug 5, 2011 #5
    There's a list of references at the bottom. If anybody was interested enough, you could go to the library and check.

7. Aug 5, 2011 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its a real phobia. Your none acceptance of it doesn't mean its a joke. The reasons phobias are phobias is because they're irrational.

8. Aug 5, 2011 #7
    They forgot to mention Roy Horn.

9. Aug 5, 2011 #8
    I went to each person's wikipedia page but they are much to long for me to be bothered to search for such a trivial thing, much less would I want to look up the references. I just wanted someone to go and look for me, lol. I tend to agree with mister Alex_Sanders, I don't really believe (or care) that those men had "ailurophobia", or what us ordinary people call a fear of cats.

10. Aug 5, 2011 #9
    You didn't need to go to the bottom of each person's Wikipedia page. Just the one linked in the OP. Most of the references point to an Azimov book.

11. Aug 5, 2011 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What exactly distinguishes this as a joke?

12. Aug 5, 2011 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There doesn't seem to actually be any evidence the famous people named had a fear of cats. But the phobia is real.

13. Aug 5, 2011 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I've actually checked the sources on the wikipedia page, and I did not find any real reputable source whether those famous persons feared cats or not. So I'm a bit skeptical...

The phobia is real though.

14. Aug 5, 2011 #13
    The original mail said "scared of pussies!", and it was hilarious. Now it got changed to "scared of cats!". I do not get the joke now...

15. Aug 5, 2011 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There is no joke.

16. Aug 6, 2011 #15

Oh yes there is, killer kitties, anything more comical than that? Wait a minute, I could make a cartoon series outta this! Oh wait yet another minute, I can't draw...

17. Aug 6, 2011 #16
    I didn't. I went to the wiki page for Ailurophobia that the OP gave, saw the names of the people supposedly to have suffered from it, went to their wiki pages, and gave up because they were to long for me to be bothered.

That's exactly what I was saying. None of the refernces list first hand accounts of people who intimately knew the supposed sufferers, e.g. there is no reference to a document written by a close friend of Napoleon. Even if there was, we have to be careful about whether the documents (were they really written by so-and-so? etc.) and the author (real historical person? is he or she lying or not? etc.) are trustworthy. I am just not convinced by the whole thing.

18. Aug 6, 2011 #17

rhody

Gold Member

Just lighten the mood here, I am pretty sure I posted this video in another thread for another reason before, nonetheless, I present "http://www.military.com/video/off-duty/humor/very-disturbing-killer-kitties-in-tanks/946199631001/" [Broken]".

Rhody... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  19. Aug 6, 2011 #18
    The source for Napoleon is an Azimov book. We'd need to get the Azimov book and see who he cites.

One of the references does cite a first hand account... La Toya Jackson.

Anyway, I'm quite confused about this thread. I don't see how a cat phobia is any stranger than the million other phobias out there. At least a cat has the real capacity to harm you. Contrast this to the fear of the number 13.

As for the list of people, I'm skeptical as well, but I suppose it's possible those people had a fear of cats. It really wouldn't surprise me if they did.

20. Aug 6, 2011 #19
    Ailurophobia is all too real. Every 52475385 seconds someone dies or is injured due to fear of cats. If you, or someone you love is effected by this crippling condition, don't despair, every day we are closer to a cure. Send money to the Jimmy Snyder Ailurophobia Fund. Do it today.

21. Aug 6, 2011 #20
    I didn't know that Azimov was a contemorary of Napoleon AND he knew him personally! Wow!

I don't even know who that is. I was talking about the people the OP listed.

Being afraid of cats and having a cat phobia are two different things. I am afraid of public speaking; I stutter, sweat, and generally feel uncomfortable. I do not, however, faint or start crying, have breathing problems, recurrent nightmares etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook