I know, I failed, but here's a dinosaur. With a hat.

• Thread starter Weissritter
  • Start date
In summary, this thread is about those weird moments in which you see a exam and your best choice is to draw a dinosaur, a superhero or anything related with that professor. Y' know, ivity, Electrons have negative charge. Neutrons are electrically neutral. With that information, answer the following:Who ate my cheese?What color is a quark IRL?Has any PFer gone that far? Did your teacher consider it an innocent joke, or an insult?
Weissritter
...Not me...yet.
This thread is about those weird moments in which you see a exam and your best choice is to draw a dinosaur, a superhero or anything related with that professor. Y' know,
"Electrons have negative charge. Neutrons are electrically neutral. With that information, answer the following:
Who ate my cheese?
What color is a quark IRL?"
You face inmediate annihilation and consider drawing pretty much anything.
Has any PFer gone that far? Did your teacher consider it an innocent joke, or an insult?
I have a teacher I've mentioned earlier, who has a moderate drawing skill. In some, totally blank exams, he draws anything crying and a sign "I know no algebra". We students consider it both a joke and an insult, but as he's the teacher, we can haz no complaints. It changes when a student draws is on purpose due to knowing his approximate note.
So, have you done that? What was the aftermath of your drawing, ir any?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had the urge to write ''I am a fish!'' all over the exam more then a couple of times.

Not something that crazy, but I do remember a Hamilton-Jacobi theory proof involving so and so generating functions and transformations between them. I was pretty convinced the problem statement had a typo which made it impossible to do but the proctor wasn't the actual prof, so I made some assertions and drew a bunch of arrows all over the place connecting steps in two separate derivations that had nothing to do with each other and finally wrote the result. I actually got credit for it. :P

I just prove Euler's identity when I don't know something in a math class. Best I've got was a "Nice Try" written on the paper and zero points.

Usually it's just zero points.

Weissritter said:
This thread is about those weird moments in which you see a exam and your best choice is to draw a dinosaur, a superhero or anything related with that professor.

No! The internet has taught us that there is only one thing to draw in that situation:

1561a-whale-is-fast-too.jpg

I've given joke answers to questions I don't know since grade 9 (now second year undergrad). None of them are particularly funny. I have a standard formula, if it's a word problem I write something about aliens or worldwide conspiracies, and if it's calculation I (boringly) make up some laws or identites to solve the question in a couple of lines in a way that clearly shows I'm being lazy and making stuff up.

And ZERO markers have ever even commented on it. Its always just a simple X, no matter how much work I put into my fabrications. Except once I made up a trig identity that solved something nicely and it turned out to be true (though not what I was supposed to do) and I am still proud of getting some marks for that.

I drew a Vivi once for a physics exam. I was pretty sure most of my answers were right and the teacher is friendly and I knew it wouldn't look like an insult. I haven't done that in anything else, other than correcting slight grammar and spelling errors in questions. Now most teachers don't like that :cry:

I'll be passing a final exam worth 100% of my grade covering like 200 pages of Jackson's book (electro+magnetostatics) in a few days.
There's a high probability I'm going to remember this thread with a huge smile on my face during the exam :D
Those ideas never occurred to me by the way.

There was one time when I made up some integration results to get to the desired answer. Got a comment next to the final answer to the effect that it was just a coincidence :(

I remember a trig test question where I was supposed to draw the graph of some trig function. I had no idea so I just guessed and drew an X and Y axis and a random curvy thing. That question kept bugging me so that evening I went back and reviewed my book until I figured out how I was supposed to do it. The next day the professor called me to his office and said that I had drawn a correct graph but showed no work, and to him that suggested that I had cheated. Since I now understood the problem I was able to explain how the graph followed so clearly form the formula that it required no intermediate steps which I felt needed to be shown. He not only accepted my explanation and gave me credit but commended me for my very clever way of determining what the graph should look like without going through all the intermediate steps he had thought would be necessary.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/3/1/12/enhanced-buzz-21192-1362157336-11.jpg [Broken]

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/3/1/11/enhanced-buzz-14495-1362157159-0.jpg [Broken]

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/3/1/12/enhanced-buzz-21137-1362157273-7.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol Lisab!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQyCvulRnUYhHcIQaTNxxWb5gZE8_sCZOlQ9RTxuEMTVzvklvdGA.jpg

Inspired from someone's avatar. :biggrin:

A certain member here told me that, during his AP Government exam (the one worth college credit) he just drew unicorns all over the test instead of trying it...

Someone I go to HS with showed me his pre-calc test once; he did a problem, and was fairly sure that he got it right, so he wrote underneath his answer "Or, the more preferable way of solving this problem:" and drew a large, complicated machine that said "Math Machine" that showed the original equation going into it, and the correct answer leaving it.

He received an extra credit point for it.

I, myself, have written a few humorous notes for some on my teachers on my tests, but have opted out of drawings due to my inability to draw anything remotely well unless it happens to be some violent, innapropriate mess. For example, on a grammar writing test, one of the sample questions that we were supposed to correct contained a statement saying that so-and-so was a better writer than Mark Twain. I wrote a paragraph explaining why this simply couldn't be true, and my teacher responded with a smiley face.

I sometimes rebel by not completely filling in my bubbles on my answer sheet.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
A certain member here ...

It's WBN, by the way.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
A certain member here told me that, during his AP Government exam (the one worth college credit) he just drew unicorns all over the test instead of trying it...
:wink: and somehow I still managed to get a 4 lol

1. What does the phrase "I know, I failed, but here's a dinosaur. With a hat." mean?

The phrase is often used as a humorous way of acknowledging one's failure while also offering something unexpected or out of the ordinary.

2. Why a dinosaur and a hat specifically?

The combination of a dinosaur and a hat is often used for comedic effect, as it is unexpected and absurd. It may also reference the idea of trying to make something uninteresting or mundane more interesting, as a dinosaur wearing a hat would certainly garner attention.

3. Is there any scientific significance to the phrase?

No, the phrase is not scientifically significant. It is simply a humorous phrase that is often used in popular culture.

4. Where did the phrase originate from?

The exact origin of the phrase is unknown, but it has been used in various forms in popular culture, including in movies, TV shows, and online memes.

5. Can the phrase be interpreted in different ways?

Yes, the phrase can be interpreted in different ways depending on the context and the tone in which it is used. It can be seen as a humorous way of admitting failure, a playful way of offering something unexpected, or a nonsensical statement meant to be amusing.