1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I saw this awhile ago, and always meant to ask about it but kept forgetting.

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    Anyways I always thought this story was cute, but I was wondering how you would solve the math problem? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...rles-tillman-does-not-pro-163415977--nfl.html I thought it would be 20% for all four games and then .16 percent for each game, but I guess that's wrong. Some people are saying you would do a 1 minus the probability which I don't understand at all, so anyone who wants to take the time to explain it to me I'd appreciate it. Oh thanks in advance, and also this isn't a homework problem, well it is but it's not my homework problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

(my answer was wrong.)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. Nov 4, 2012 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The Bears win one game with probability .2 so they win 4 games with probability .2^4=.2*.2*.2*.2=.0016

When no that the Packers win all four games is the opposite of the Bears win at least one game, the probability of the opposite is q=1-p. The Bears win at least one game with probability 1-.8^4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook