I scored at super geek level on a test and I'm disappointed
- Thread starter recon
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Geek
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
90 replies · 13K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I'm a major geek.
BoulderHead
What is the primary difference between a Geek and a Nerd, which one would be more likely to have a slide rule in pocket, and do either of these constitute a squirrel ?
- 20,002
- 11,120
I'm just a techie geek :)
PRodQuanta
- 341
- 0
Major.
Paden Roder
Paden Roder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
I'm just a geek. But I already knew I was one of those (I laughed that I got extra points at the end for being a female geek). Hate to break it to ya, but anyone on these boards has to be at least somewhat geeky or they wouldn't think this was a fun place to hang out 
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
Major. Extra points for my calculator collection, I suppose. Geez! Like there's anything weird about that!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
Geek : 20%
devil-fire
good god that's a lot of questions...
based on the first 2 sections I am a geek
based on the first 2 sections I am a geek
Entropy
- 479
- 0
Super Geek!
Anttech
- 237
- 0
geek 20%
Only interested in Computer stuff :-D
Only interested in Computer stuff :-D
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
Major Geek reporting for duty. 
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
Just a geek for me.
BoulderHead asked:
Strange they didn't have one question about strange eating habits. Technically, a geek is a carnival performer who bites the heads off of live chickens or snakes to entertain the crowd.
Math Is Hard:
Digital or analog? I collect the analog calculators (and I do have a pocket-size one that I sometimes carry). I only have about a dozen, but just about all of them are the really good ones. A couple of Post Versalogs (including my Dad's slide rule that I learned on after he got his first digital calculator), a Post 1491 (a chemical slide rule which is extremely interesting and almost more effective than a digital calculator for Chemistry classes - especially if the book is written by Chang, whom I suspect may be a collector himself, judging by how all the problems seem to be optimized for slide rule solutions), a Hemmi 255 Electrician's slide rule, a Hemmi 259 (the sister slide rule of the Post Versalog), an Albert Nestler 23R (the favorite of Werner VonBraun and Albert Einstein), a couple of Soviet Gosts (the equivalent of the AN 23R), and the big dog of slide rules: the Faber Castell 2/83N Novo-Duplex rule (size does matter).
Uh, maybe I better go back and add a couple of extra points.
BoulderHead asked:
What is the primary difference between a Geek and a Nerd, which one would be more likely to have a slide rule in pocket, and do either of these constitute a squirrel ?
Strange they didn't have one question about strange eating habits. Technically, a geek is a carnival performer who bites the heads off of live chickens or snakes to entertain the crowd.
Math Is Hard:
Major. Extra points for my calculator collection, I suppose. Geez! Like there's anything weird about that!
Digital or analog? I collect the analog calculators (and I do have a pocket-size one that I sometimes carry). I only have about a dozen, but just about all of them are the really good ones. A couple of Post Versalogs (including my Dad's slide rule that I learned on after he got his first digital calculator), a Post 1491 (a chemical slide rule which is extremely interesting and almost more effective than a digital calculator for Chemistry classes - especially if the book is written by Chang, whom I suspect may be a collector himself, judging by how all the problems seem to be optimized for slide rule solutions), a Hemmi 255 Electrician's slide rule, a Hemmi 259 (the sister slide rule of the Post Versalog), an Albert Nestler 23R (the favorite of Werner VonBraun and Albert Einstein), a couple of Soviet Gosts (the equivalent of the AN 23R), and the big dog of slide rules: the Faber Castell 2/83N Novo-Duplex rule (size does matter).
Artman
- 1,507
- 41
BobG said:Just a geek for me.
BoulderHead asked:
Strange they didn't have one question about strange eating habits. Technically, a geek is a carnival performer who bites the heads off of live chickens or snakes to entertain the crowd.
Math Is Hard:
Digital or analog? I collect the analog calculators (and I do have a pocket-size one that I sometimes carry). I only have about a dozen, but just about all of them are the really good ones. A couple of Post Versalogs (including my Dad's slide rule that I learned on after he got his first digital calculator), a Post 1491 (a chemical slide rule which is extremely interesting and almost more effective than a digital calculator for Chemistry classes - especially if the book is written by Chang, whom I suspect may be a collector himself, judging by how all the problems seem to be optimized for slide rule solutions), a Hemmi 255 Electrician's slide rule, a Hemmi 259 (the sister slide rule of the Post Versalog), an Albert Nestler 23R (the favorite of Werner VonBraun and Albert Einstein), a couple of Soviet Gosts (the equivalent of the AN 23R), and the big dog of slide rules: the Faber Castell 2/83N Novo-Duplex rule (size does matter).
Uh, maybe I better go back and add a couple of extra points.
How in th world did you not get at least Major Geek!
graphic7
Gold Member
- 450
- 2
31 % - Total geek.
I was rather disappointed. I was shooting for a bit of a higher score. I think what hurt me was unchecking, "I think this quiz is cool."
I was rather disappointed. I was shooting for a bit of a higher score. I think what hurt me was unchecking, "I think this quiz is cool."
DarkAnt
- 195
- 0
Super Geek. Worst part is...I've taken this test before. Its good to be a geek 
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 6,845
- 11
Just a geek (24+%) on the cusp. Plusses, my career in programming, my math background, and my interest in self educcation. Minuses, no games at all, except Trivial Pursuit, at which I am properly geeky. Also little or no TV.
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
Artman said:How in th world did you not get at least Major Geek!
![]()
![]()
I think you have to be a multi-dimensional geek to score well on this test. It covers several different categories: math geeks, computer geeks, gamers, trekkies, etc. If you rated by category, I'd rate pretty high on the math category, maybe at least make it on the scale in the computer category, and score around zero for most of the other categories (except maybe history or useless trivia).
Besides, collecting slide rules is a little like collecting art, except more functional.
Dooga Blackrazor
- 258
- 0
I achieved a 19% and am only a regular Geek.
check
- 146
- 0
19.9211%, Geek
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I can't believe that there are not higher levels of geekdom among our members.
I think some people are in denial of their true geekiness.
I think some people are in denial of their true geekiness.
Kalimaa23
- 277
- 1
11,24% Geekish tendencies.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
BobG said:Digital or analog? I collect the analog calculators (and I do have a pocket-size one that I sometimes carry).
Mine are all digital but I am looking for an abacus for my collection. I might build one if I can't find one I like.
Hey, Bob - maybe you should create a coffee table book about slide rules. What a great gift for the engineer who has everything!
I would totally buy a copy for my Dad.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
They didn't ask, "Do you time how long it takes to mentally calculate logarithms to 4 digit accuracy, in order to determine your blood alcohol level ?" Damn them !