I suck at practical art tests, but am excellent at theoretical art exams

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
bagasme
Messages
79
Reaction score
9
Hi everyone,

I was quite excellent at STEM subjects at school, but struggled (bad) at art classes. Here's why:

At grade 9 of middle school, one of the job (assignment) that I had to perform in weeks was singing Amayadori by Mayumi Itsuwa.


I and other students were given photocopies of music sheet of that song. But I got the broken one (in sense of the second before the last page was duplicated instead of having the actual last page). So I had to be called last and perform "lipsyncing" with my classmate who also called last.
Because of the broken music sheet, I never rehearsed singing the song.

Fast forward to high school, I greeted with 2013 Curriculum (Kurikulum 2013 or in short, K-13). One of the changes in the curriculum is there is now theoretical tests in art subject, not just the practical ones. As a consequence, I was excellent at theoretical tests, because the problems in such tests are too easy for me (almost all of them were low order thinking problems, for example of these problems see the sample here), thus I could complete them in less than thirty minutes.

But again, on practical tests, I rather struggled again. One time when I paint over the glass, the paint were suddenly spilled and my painting was quite not up to what I expected (proper colors on the painting). Also on final test, when my class was divided into two groups for musical number, I joined neither (I withdrew because I was not interested in it), yet my art teacher still gave me standard score.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We all have strengths and weaknesses. Things that interest us and those that do not even if we are competent in doing those that do not interest us. So what is your point?
 
gleem said:
We all have strengths and weaknesses. Things that interest us and those that do not even if we are competent in doing those that do not interest us. So what is your point?
I was just showing my art struggles, yeah because I'm more of left-brained (logical) than right-brained (artistry). So STEM is one of my strengths, and art is one of my weaknesses.
 
bagasme said:
I was just showing my art struggles, yeah because I'm more of left-brained (logical) than right-brained (artistry). So STEM is one of my strengths, and art is one of my weaknesses.
I caution you against this kind of self-pigeonholing. It could have been that early on in life you came across something that sparked your interest in STEM and then worked hard at it. In doing so, you became more skillful and confident in your ability to learn that kind of material. It could just as easily have gone the other way and you would have spent considerable effort on an artistic endeavor. Don't miss out on new interests by defining yourself away from them.
 
Haborix said:
I caution you against this kind of self-pigeonholing. ... Don't miss out on new interests by defining yourself away from them.
Very true.

We are all interest-oriented. Our interests do not necessarily define all our capabilities. Interests change. You do not know your future interests or the circumstance that will necessitate the need to call up dormant abilities. You should let your early education prepare you as much as possible for whatever eventualities await in the future. This will also allow you more freedom in planning your future. The more you know about yourself the better prepared you will be. This, however, may take you out of your comfort zone.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Haborix and BillTre
bagasme said:
I was quite excellent at STEM subjects at school, but struggled (bad) at art classes. Here's why:
bagasme said:
I never rehearsed
bagasme said:
I was not interested in it
FTFY