I suck at practical art tests, but am excellent at theoretical art exams

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggles in art classes and their strengths in STEM subjects. They share a specific incident where they were given a broken music sheet and had to perform "lipsyncing" with a classmate. The speaker also mentions changes in the curriculum that included theoretical tests in art, which they excelled in, but struggled in practical tests. They then go on to talk about the dangers of self-pigeonholing based on interests and the importance of being prepared for future interests and circumstances.
bagasme
Hi everyone,

I was quite excellent at STEM subjects at school, but struggled (bad) at art classes. Here's why:

At grade 9 of middle school, one of the job (assignment) that I had to perform in weeks was singing Amayadori by Mayumi Itsuwa.

I and other students were given photocopies of music sheet of that song. But I got the broken one (in sense of the second before the last page was duplicated instead of having the actual last page). So I had to be called last and perform "lipsyncing" with my classmate who also called last.
Because of the broken music sheet, I never rehearsed singing the song.

Fast forward to high school, I greeted with 2013 Curriculum (Kurikulum 2013 or in short, K-13). One of the changes in the curriculum is there is now theoretical tests in art subject, not just the practical ones. As a consequence, I was excellent at theoretical tests, because the problems in such tests are too easy for me (almost all of them were low order thinking problems, for example of these problems see the sample here), thus I could complete them in less than thirty minutes.

But again, on practical tests, I rather struggled again. One time when I paint over the glass, the paint were suddenly spilled and my painting was quite not up to what I expected (proper colors on the painting). Also on final test, when my class was divided into two groups for musical number, I joined neither (I withdrew because I was not interested in it), yet my art teacher still gave me standard score.

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
We all have strengths and weaknesses. Things that interest us and those that do not even if we are competent in doing those that do not interest us. So what is your point?

gleem said:
We all have strengths and weaknesses. Things that interest us and those that do not even if we are competent in doing those that do not interest us. So what is your point?
I was just showing my art struggles, yeah because I'm more of left-brained (logical) than right-brained (artistry). So STEM is one of my strengths, and art is one of my weaknesses.

bagasme said:
I was just showing my art struggles, yeah because I'm more of left-brained (logical) than right-brained (artistry). So STEM is one of my strengths, and art is one of my weaknesses.
I caution you against this kind of self-pigeonholing. It could have been that early on in life you came across something that sparked your interest in STEM and then worked hard at it. In doing so, you became more skillful and confident in your ability to learn that kind of material. It could just as easily have gone the other way and you would have spent considerable effort on an artistic endeavor. Don't miss out on new interests by defining yourself away from them.

Likes BillTre
Haborix said:
I caution you against this kind of self-pigeonholing. ... Don't miss out on new interests by defining yourself away from them.
Very true.

We are all interest-oriented. Our interests do not necessarily define all our capabilities. Interests change. You do not know your future interests or the circumstance that will necessitate the need to call up dormant abilities. You should let your early education prepare you as much as possible for whatever eventualities await in the future. This will also allow you more freedom in planning your future. The more you know about yourself the better prepared you will be. This, however, may take you out of your comfort zone.

Likes Haborix and BillTre
bagasme said:
I was quite excellent at STEM subjects at school, but struggled (bad) at art classes. Here's why:
bagasme said:
I never rehearsed
bagasme said:
I was not interested in it
FTFY

1. Why am I better at theoretical art exams than practical art tests?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that you are more comfortable with the academic and theoretical aspects of art, such as art history and composition, rather than the technical skills required for practical art tests. Another reason could be that you have had more experience and practice with theoretical art exams, leading to a stronger understanding and mastery of the material.

2. Can I improve my practical art skills?

Yes, absolutely! Like any skill, practical art can be improved with practice and dedication. Consider seeking out additional resources, such as online tutorials or classes, to help you develop your technical skills. Additionally, try to incorporate more hands-on practice into your routine, whether it's through personal projects or seeking out opportunities to work with other artists.

3. Are practical art skills more important than theoretical knowledge?

Both practical art skills and theoretical knowledge are important aspects of being a well-rounded artist. While practical skills are necessary for creating physical pieces of art, theoretical knowledge provides a deeper understanding and context for your work. It's important to strive for a balance between the two in order to excel in both areas.

4. How can I prepare for practical art tests?

One of the best ways to prepare for practical art tests is to practice regularly. Set aside time each day to work on your technical skills, whether it's drawing, painting, or sculpting. Additionally, familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the test and practice those techniques beforehand. Finally, try to stay calm and focused during the test, as nerves and stress can impact your performance.

5. Should I focus on one aspect (practical or theoretical) or try to improve in both?

It's important to have a well-rounded understanding of both practical and theoretical aspects of art. While you may excel in one area more than the other, it's beneficial to continue developing skills in both. This will not only make you a stronger artist, but also allow you to be more versatile and adaptable in different art-related situations.