I think this site is really helpful to all people who learn science

• Praise
  • Thread starter stanton
  • Start date
In summary, the site requires students to show their work in order to motivate lazy students, but it also provides opportunities for students to learn and problem solve on their own. This is a valuable site for students of all levels.
stanton
I am using PF for only a month. And I think this is the best website I've ever visited.
When I first came here, I was quite grumpy about the fact that I have to show equations, my work. However, I think it is a very good policy right now.
Some of the students depend entirely on internet to solve their homework. They just type their questions in AnswersYahoo or something like that. As they keep doing that, their ability to study degrades. And they will feel not much good to see their grades in exams, for they have never used their own head to solve homework.
I will recommend this site to everyone in my math and phys class. The site require us the show our work so that lazy students don't just pickup answers form hard working smart people and leave. This site enables students to think about problem, analyze it, and solve the problem by themselves.
There are lots of good people here who like to discuss about science, try to help people troubling from science problem, and suggest them the methods to help them out, give advices.
i started to love it here. Thank you to all of the good people who replied to my questions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I can speak on behalf of all the homework helpers (and probably the staff) when I thank you for your compliment and say that we're glad to help you and others.

I'm also happy that you agree that the policy of nudging in the right direction but letting the student do the actual work is useful. I can imagine that lazy students who are used to getting all their answers off the Internet without understanding why are unhappy about it, but trying to solve a problem yourself is really the only way to actually learn something and not just get a good grade.

By the way, if you see anyone with a problem that you can solve, feel free to jump in. After all, it's people like you who are happy with the help they get and start helping others that make this site go 'round :)

stanton said:
I will recommend this site to everyone in my math and phys class.
Hey stanton. I don't know if you are in college or not, but if so, you might be interested in becoming a gold member. Check out this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338366"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for taking the time to write this, stanton. You make very good points about study habits and problem solving. I know that your feedback is an especially nice boost for our homework helpers who have to deal with many "hand-me-the-answer" posters.

I thought you might also enjoy reading about a PF success story in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=305026" if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:
stanton said:
I am using PF for only a month. And I think this is the best website I've ever visited.
When I first came here, I was quite grumpy about the fact that I have to show equations, my work. However, I think it is a very good policy right now.
Some of the students depend entirely on internet to solve their homework. They just type their questions in AnswersYahoo or something like that. As they keep doing that, their ability to study degrades. And they will feel not much good to see their grades in exams, for they have never used their own head to solve homework.
I will recommend this site to everyone in my math and phys class. The site require us the show our work so that lazy students don't just pickup answers form hard working smart people and leave. This site give students to think about problem, analyze it, and solve the problem by themselves.
There are lots of good people here who like to discuss about science, try to help people troubling from science problem, and suggest them the methods to help them out, give advices.
i started to love it here. Thank you to all of the good people who replied to my questions.

I'm glad you like it!

And, don't forget:
One of the best ways to internalize material properly, is to think through how to TEACH it to others!

Thus, don't hesitate to step into the role of the teacher as well!

:smile:

To CompuChip: Thank you. :)
To dlgoff: I am first year student. Wow, I must try it right now. :)
To Math Is Hard: the thread was very interesting. Thank you. :D
To Aridlno: I will try to help others as best I can from right now!

Up to know I thought the best post one can get after nudging the student in the right direction is

Ah, you mean that ... so (here comes correct solution)!

Now I can't decide if I prefer seeing them finding the solution on their own, or just being praised directly.

1. What makes this site helpful for learning science?

This site provides a wide range of resources and information on various science topics, making it a comprehensive and reliable source for learning. It also offers interactive features, such as quizzes and simulations, to help reinforce understanding.

2. How can I use this site to improve my understanding of science?

You can use this site to access detailed explanations, visual aids, and practice questions on different science concepts. You can also engage with other users and ask questions to deepen your understanding.

3. Is the information on this site accurate and up-to-date?

Yes, the information on this site is regularly reviewed and updated by a team of qualified scientists and educators. Any new discoveries or developments in the scientific community are promptly added to ensure the accuracy and relevance of the content.

4. Can I access this site for free?

Yes, this site is completely free to use. There are no hidden fees or subscriptions required. All you need is an internet connection to access the site and its resources.

5. Can this site be used for all levels of science education?

Yes, this site caters to learners of all levels, from elementary school to college and beyond. The information is presented in a way that is easy to understand, but also provides in-depth explanations for more advanced learners.