Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I took a taxi to work this morning I think

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ice storm, not bad, but the Evo Child has my car and I didn't want her traveling. So I called one of the few people here that offer rides, it was the only place that offered taxi service that I called that was even willing to speak to me. Apparently the 5 taxis in the state only go to the airport.

So after begging and pleading and a number of calls back and forth, after two hours, "George" agreed to "swing by and get me".

After giving him turn by turn directions to my place and he said he was on my street, I went outside and saw a brown unmarked car slowly driving toward me. He looked like a mafia hit man, complete with hat. I make motions with my hands that meant "are you a taxi"? He gave me a blank look and then stared straight ahead. I took a few steps nearer the street and gave a look of fear and confusion forming the words "taxi?" with my lips. He stopped the car but kept looking straight ahead. I went up to the passenger window and asked "are you George?", he looked straight ahead and gave a slight nod. I got into the backseat not sure if I'd ever be seen alive again.

Turns out he was George and he drives people around for a living. I made it out alive. I gave him a wad of cash and said thanks. I didn't see any kind of meter, but we had agreed on the rate before he came to get me.

Next time I need a ride, I will be using George. If he'll come get me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2
    That's creepy.

I'm thankful that I live in CA, we had a freeze warning for the last couple of days, but that's about it. =]

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    One of my Air Force friends went to the CIA and was surprised by this:
    Apparently around DC, there are just corners where you wait and compute with whoever is giving rides that day into the district (presumably you arrange with them when they are coming back to your corner area too). He loved it. I find the idea interesting, but sketchy.

Of course I find you're presumably unlicensed taxi even sketchier. Take care of yourself out there!

5. Dec 18, 2008 #4
    Great story, Evo. In the Netherlands you could easily make a living out writing such stories every week.

6. Dec 18, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is unlicenced minicabing. Usually someone who needs the money with a broken down old car and no insurance. The police tend to turn a blind eye because they are more interested in getting drunks out of the downtown at midnight.

In small towns there is just 'George' because it's not worthwhile anyone getting an official licence, and the local police know 'George' so it's ok.

There are pay for ride-share / carpools in big cities. The bus company got a web site promoting these shut down here, they claimed it was unfair competition.

7. Dec 18, 2008 #6
    Thank you George!~ Though I want you to know that was NOT funny, thank you for being good to Evo. And thanks in advance if you help out again.
    MAN!!!~
    Here in NYC we get a wild guy driver once in a while and I chatter like a nut ..... ...............(I heard that) .... until I get to my destination, hoping that he finds me human enough to keep from killing me or someone else.

8. Dec 18, 2008 #7
    I think you're supposed to ask for his name, rather than suggest one. And if you don't carry protection... (Don't say you do or don't.)

9. Dec 18, 2008 #8
    That was one step below a super secret hand signal. I had to use that once while getting a ride from El Paso to my Dads home. I was told to look for the Silver Coach, then put 3 fingers up followed by 2 fingers up. I felt odd, standing out side the air port flashing gang signs at every silver-ish colored car that passed. The Silver Coach turned out to be a beat up blue econoline.

10. Dec 18, 2008 #9

Evo

:rofl: Yeah, this was an old car and reeked of cigarette smoke. He had only a cell phone, no dispatch radio, no nothing.

If he wasn't the only car on the street, I would not have had any idea who he was. :bugeye:

I guess I should have let him know that I was packing a hubbard squash and I wasn't afraid to use it.

11. Dec 18, 2008 #10
    There are places in DC where people stand in line as if for a taxi. Private cars swing by and pick them up for free. The reason is that there is a traffic jam that starts in downtown DC and runs as far south as 8:00 pm. But if there are three or more people in the car, it is allowed on the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane and poof, no traffic jam. I imagine there is a parking area where the HOV lane ends and the free riders have their cars parked there.

12. Dec 18, 2008 #11
    I know George. As with the banks, the loan sharking division of the mob is busily writing off a significant portion of their portfolio. George is in high demand right now for expediting these foreclosures and the taxi doubles as a get-away car.

13. Dec 18, 2008 #12
    I remember when we drove through Kansas to Emporia to get a dog...I think...two years ago. It was hairy with all the ice and snow and it didn't even storm on us...

14. Dec 18, 2008 #13
    Was it hairy when you got it?

15. Dec 18, 2008 #14
    Haha. Shut up.

16. Dec 18, 2008 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the cab was unlicenced you want to be careful Evo. In the UK there is a big problem with people going in unlicenced cabs who never get out of them alive or end up being assaulted or robbed.

17. Dec 19, 2008 #16

Evo

He could have a chauffeur's license.

18. Dec 19, 2008 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that a squash in your pocket, or ...

19. Dec 20, 2008 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm really hurt Evo. :cry: Oh never mind. I was not around then anyway.
    I still love you though. :!!)

20. Dec 20, 2008 #19

Evo

Awww. I couldn't do something like that. "hey dl, would you mind driving 40 miles both ways in an ice storm to take me down the street a few blocks?

I know some women that "would" do that. But they are not nice.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  21. Dec 21, 2008 #20
    Me: I'll have a coffee to go.
    Clerk: You don't drink coffee, is this for you wife?
    Me: Do you think my mother would send me out in weather like this?

But no one is allowed to say that my wife is not nice. I reserve that privilege to myself alone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?