I want to find the vector components of an MRI pixel -- How?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of a Dicom Image as an array and the process of finding the vector components of a pixel, specifically for magnetic field vectors for H1 atoms. The image has a frequency of 297 and a B0 value of 3. The speaker mentions that they are not an MRI expert, and suggests that more information would be needed to go from the pixel values to a magnetic field map. They also inquire about the possibility of the image being of a phantom with known properties.
mriphysics
I have a Dicom Image that is interpreted as an array. Each cell is a pixel. Each pixel has a value. I want to find the vector components (x,y,z) of a pixel. Specifically, I want to find magnetic field vectors for each pixel. The image is for H1 atoms. Freq = 297, B0 = 3.

How would you do this and can you show a sample calculation?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not really an MRI guy, but are you asking about a map of magnetic field inhomogeneities?

I would expect the voxels within a DICOM MRI image set to translate directly into a T1 or a T2 parameter or something like that. In DICOM format they're probably stored as some kind of integer value that gets multiplied by a scaling factor that's in the header. You would need more information to go from the pixel values to a magnetic field map, I would think. Is the image of a phantom with known, spatially uniform properties?

1. What are vector components in MRI pixels?

Vector components in MRI pixels refer to the two or three-dimensional values (x, y, z) that represent the intensity and direction of the magnetic resonance signal.

2. How do I find the vector components of an MRI pixel?

To find the vector components of an MRI pixel, you will need to use the MRI scanner's software or a specialized image processing program. These programs will allow you to view and analyze the MRI images, and extract the vector components from the pixel data.

3. What is the importance of knowing the vector components of MRI pixels?

Knowing the vector components of MRI pixels is crucial for accurately interpreting the MRI images and understanding the underlying tissue structures. It also allows for quantitative analysis of the MRI data and can aid in diagnosing medical conditions.

4. Are there different methods for calculating vector components in MRI pixels?

Yes, there are various methods for calculating vector components in MRI pixels, such as Fourier transform, k-space analysis, and gradient echo techniques. The method used depends on the type of MRI scan and the desired outcome.

5. Can I manually calculate the vector components of an MRI pixel?

It is not recommended to manually calculate the vector components of an MRI pixel as it can be time-consuming and prone to errors. It is best to utilize specialized software or consult with an expert in MRI analysis for accurate results.