1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to get a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics. What College?

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    I am desiring to get a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics, but I know not what college will be best for me to get that degree in. I am taking all the most advanced Science and Math classes at my School. Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy. I live in Southwest Missouri, and my parents have no money saved up for college. My best bet is a Scholarship. My GPA is roughly 3.4. Any thoughts on what colleges are good? My IQ is unmeasurable since it is so high. School is incredibly easy, I am a Sophomore as of the 2012-2013 school year.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

eri

You need to earn a bachelors degree before you can apply for a PhD program. You won't do your bachelors and PhD at the same school. With your GPA, a state school is probably your best bet, but don't expect a scholarship.

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If your IQ is "unmeasurable since it is so high" and "school is incredibly easy", you shouldn't be getting a 3.4. You should be getting a 4.0. That should be your goal from this point out. Elite colleges and universities, as well as scholarship selection committees are not interested in people who could get get a 4.0 - but choose not to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook