I want to get a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics. What College?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
EuroNerd77
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I am desiring to get a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics, but I know not what college will be best for me to get that degree in. I am taking all the most advanced Science and Math classes at my School. Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy. I live in Southwest Missouri, and my parents have no money saved up for college. My best bet is a Scholarship. My GPA is roughly 3.4. Any thoughts on what colleges are good? My IQ is unmeasurable since it is so high. School is incredibly easy, I am a Sophomore as of the 2012-2013 school year.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to earn a bachelors degree before you can apply for a PhD program. You won't do your bachelors and PhD at the same school. With your GPA, a state school is probably your best bet, but don't expect a scholarship.
 
If your IQ is "unmeasurable since it is so high" and "school is incredibly easy", you shouldn't be getting a 3.4. You should be getting a 4.0. That should be your goal from this point out. Elite colleges and universities, as well as scholarship selection committees are not interested in people who could get get a 4.0 - but choose not to.