IBM's Watson to be on Jeopardy next week.

• Thread starter Subductionzon
  • Start date
In summary, IBM has developed a system named Watson specifically for playing Jeopardy, and it will be competing against the two best Jeopardy champions in a match to be held on February 14-16. NOVA has already produced an online show about Watson which can be viewed on their website. The match will take place at RPI's EMPAC and is expected to be very interesting. Viewers are excited to see how Watson will perform, especially in terms of physically pressing the button to buzz in. The display of Watson's guesses and probabilities during the practice match was intriguing, and many are curious to see how it will bet on Daily Double questions.
Subductionzon
IBM has developed a system they call Watson specifically to play Jeopardy. It will take on the two best Jeopardy champions of all time next week on Jeopardy, February 14 -16. NOVA already as an online show about Watson that you can watch here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/smartest-machine-on-earth.html"

It should be a very interesting week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
They're doing it at RPI's EMPAC and I'm going to it on the 14th! Can't wait!

Wow, I might actually watch! Kudos to the marketing team!

I like the part where in the practice match, all three contestants got 100% of their answers right, and it basically came down to who could ring in first.

I also like that they've required Watson to actually push the button physically, and not just electronically.

Go Ken Jennings!

Hey, watch the spoiler posts -- we're dealing with multiple time zones here!

The display of Watson's guesses and probabities was interesting to see. The globe colors based on correct and incorrect guesses was a nice touch also.

I was wondering before the show how Watson would bet on the Daily Double questions. Hitting it on the second or third question didn't leave much of a difficult choice that early. Will Watson will bet it all with one question left and/or a sizable lead?

I'm looking forward to the next two days.

1. What is IBM's Watson and why is it on Jeopardy?

IBM's Watson is an artificial intelligence system developed by IBM. It is being featured on Jeopardy as a demonstration of its advanced abilities in natural language processing and machine learning.

2. How does Watson work on Jeopardy?

Watson works by analyzing natural language clues and searching through vast amounts of data to come up with the most probable answer. It also uses machine learning to improve its performance over time.

3. Is Watson competing against human players on Jeopardy?

Yes, Watson is competing against two human players on Jeopardy. The goal is to demonstrate its ability to understand and respond to natural language clues and compete against human intelligence.

4. How is Watson's performance on Jeopardy compared to human players?

Watson's performance on Jeopardy has been impressive, surpassing that of most human players. However, it is still not perfect and can make mistakes, as it is constantly learning and improving.

5. What are the potential applications of Watson's technology beyond Jeopardy?

Watson's technology has potential applications in various industries, such as healthcare, finance, and customer service. It can assist in decision making, analyze large amounts of data, and provide insights and recommendations. Its capabilities are continuously expanding, making it a valuable tool in many fields.