Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Idea from a laymen (transportation system)

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    Hello

I've just joined the forum and know very little about physics but I have a passionate interest in exploring ideas and I'm curious if there any advancements that are being carried out already in the transport field.

I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

Cheers.

282gcco.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks to me like you're basically trying to invent a maglev subway, is that the idea?

4. Dec 28, 2009 #3
    Hmm, more kind of 'inverted electric motor' because the whole tunnel you mention *is* the track around the whole train (thus increasing magnetic field similar to how a typical electric motor works).

5. Dec 30, 2009 #4
    With that precision fit, that thing would be one heck of an air pump. forget the magnets to move you, seal the ends and shoot it with vacumn or pressure. I have to wonder about the concentraited mag field inside. It could save seating as you could secure everyone to the walls by their steel accessories (jewelry, beltbuckles) and kill every electronic device inside. with an MRI the outside "containment field" is a significant consummer of power

" Conductor sez: closing doors and preparing to move"
    (slight buzzing noise)
    >THUMP< (as everyone sticks to the outside wall like a cheap carnaval ride)
    "all passengers now secure"
    (I am sorry, but the picture in my head is hilarious!! lol)

dr

6. Dec 30, 2009 #5
    This would save on having security personnel on board as no one would disturb any others physically.

7. Dec 30, 2009 #6
    there ya go
    cost savings already

dr

8. Dec 30, 2009 #7
    How about, a pully system with a maglev. Two motors on either end pulling the unit?

9. Dec 30, 2009 #8
    maybe we are overthinkin this
    think 4 man pod, very good seal between the tube and the car
    it would take very little differential pressure to make it haul butt
    and the station truster uses piezio-electric compound like used in air bags at every station
    boom, next stop, boom,
    the pods could never hit each other because of the compression wave at the front
    make the station like a big 6 shooted revolver cylinder

dr

10. Dec 30, 2009 #9
    Yeah that's a good one too, I wonder what speed this could go at. I suppose there's very little limit.

11. Jan 1, 2010 #10
    I just hope you arrange to screen all the passengers carefully before they get into this contraption. Not just for guns and knives!

What about prosthetic devices, like those metal plates they use to repair badly broken bones? Artificial hips etc? Heart pacemakers? Implanted hearing aids? Metal tooth fillings? Trusses, and other appliances which perhaps we should not mention?

Now I don't know which of these would really pose a danger, but I'm willing to bet that those with artificial pacemakers would go on a pretty fast trip to one main terminus or the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook