Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Ideal torque vs engine speed curve

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    Just a simple question of what the ideal torque/engine speed graph would like?

Also, could anyone direct me to a good website or book that would help me understand the following things better:
    tyre slip/traction control
    gear ratios and how they affect acceleration

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2
    It is easy enough to Google them. All engine manufacturers publish technical data on their engines, including a number of curves. I’m normally most interested in the specific fuel consumption curves. That tells me at what rpm I want to run the engine for various loads. Normally, the emissions curves will also be optimized at approximately the same place. I look at the power curves and compare them with the fuel consumption curves. That tells me what sort of transmission I need. The torque curves don’t provide me much that I don’t get from the other curves, and are less useful.

4. Oct 29, 2012 #3
    There is no 'ideal curve' only ones optimised for different uses. One with lots of low down torque that drops off quickly would be ideal for a truck, but not a race car, and visa versa.

Here is a great link for explaining the effects of torque and gear ratios on acceleration with lots of great graphics. http://robotpig.net/__automotive/power-torque-thrust.php?page=1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook