Ideas Wanted: World's Simplest Physics Demos

In summary: The target should be approximately 2 meters away. The apparent size of the target on the photo should be about 1/10th the size as when looking at the target directly.
Farina
I'm participating in a "Middle School Science Day" event and
need to conduct a series of "World's Simplest Physics Demos."

They need to be contraptions that the kids can build themselves
in about 20 minutes or so.

They need to be limited to very basic physics concepts, i.e.
"mousetrap car" is too engineering-ish. Can you add to the
following list, or suggest better alternatives?

World’s Simplest Motor
World’s Simplest Telescope
World’s Simplest Rocket (Hero’s & Match)
World’s Simplest Steam Engine
World’s Simplest Heat Engine (drinking bird)
World’s Simplest Electric Guitar
World’s Simplest Speaker
World’s Simplest Battery (potato battery)

Physics news on Phys.org
Farina said:
World’s Simplest Motor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOdboRYf1hM

Yes, thank you. I've been building these for years. My question is whether or not anyone knows of additional activities to add to the list, or better alternatives (as in "is there a better 'world's simplest motor' than the Homopolar Motor"). Thanks anyway.

A soap boat is fun. A paper helicopter. A water-drop microscope.

Pop-pop boats are good, could make a simple pump by wrapping a flexible tube around a pencil to make an archimedes screw.

VCortex said:
Pop-pop boats are good
World’s Simplest Steam Engine?

World's Simplest Linear Accelerator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJW5FG8Egd8

Last edited:
Worlds Simplest Vehicle Transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyii6QBLtw

That is certainly a simple motor to build, but the physics behind it is not so simple. I presume the OP wanted something that was both simple in design and in physics.

Galilean cannon (worlds simplest cannon)

There are lots of quite simple experiments/demos you could do...

Standing waves on a skipping rope?
Syphons?
Imploding coke cans ?
Interference using water tank?

The strength of soap bubble walls―relating the thinness of the black region to the wavelength of light.

Invisible spying, using the TV remote control in conjunction with a digital camera.

A few dozen plain mirrors each in a brown paper bag, plus an equal number of small buckets of sand. Outdoors, one at a time stand each mirror in the sand and direct the sun onto a timber target. Then uncover all mirrors simultaneously.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Ideas Wanted: World's Simplest Physics Demos"?

The purpose of "Ideas Wanted: World's Simplest Physics Demos" is to encourage people to come up with simple yet effective demonstrations of basic physics principles. These demos can be used to teach others about physics in a fun and engaging way.

2. Who can submit ideas for "Ideas Wanted: World's Simplest Physics Demos"?

Anyone can submit ideas for "Ideas Wanted: World's Simplest Physics Demos". This includes students, teachers, scientists, and anyone with an interest in physics. We welcome ideas from people of all ages and backgrounds.

3. What criteria will be used to select the winning demos?

The winning demos will be selected based on their simplicity, creativity, and effectiveness in demonstrating a basic physics principle. We are looking for demos that can be easily replicated and understood by a wide audience.

4. Can I submit more than one idea for "Ideas Wanted: World's Simplest Physics Demos"?

Yes, you can submit multiple ideas for "Ideas Wanted: World's Simplest Physics Demos". We encourage you to submit as many ideas as you have, as long as they meet the submission guidelines and criteria.

5. What will happen to the selected demos?

The selected demos will be featured on our website and social media platforms. They will also be compiled into a collection that can be used by educators and science communicators to teach others about physics. The creators of the selected demos will be credited and may also receive a prize.