Identify Mystery Bird in South Carolina

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
Messages
16,110
Reaction score
8,522
I saw this while walking home today:

bird.jpg

I've seen it or one of its friends/relatives occasionally in the same area, over the years. It has a broad wingspan when flying. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get a picture while it was in the air, and I couldn't get very close to it.

This is in South Carolina, about 150 miles / 250 km inland from the Atlantic coast.
 
Attachments
  • bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 940
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
Biology news on Phys.org
WIfe says "Oh, that's a Great Blue Heron!" When the geographic area was mentioned, "It could be one of the other Herons, but I think it's a Grreat Blue." " It's hard to tell for sure because the head can't be seen very well." We are on the West coast so the Great Blue is the default. Further research shows it may be a Great White, which is mostly in Florida to Texas but strays as far North as New Jersey. The white legs in the photo indicate a White. The Heron declaration is based on overall body morphology and especially on the shape of the bill.

So, lacking a better photo, that's the 'current best guess'.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
It looks like a heron or a crane due to the size and shape.
Cranes are either whooping or sandhill, in NA, and it doesn't look like either, with no markings on the head, and the color of plumage.
So I go with a heron also.

Looks kinda scraggly for some reason.
 
Looks like a heron is the best bet for now. Thanks! I remember seeing them in more waterlogged areas, but we don't have much water nearby, just a few ponds. The nearest lake of any size is about 15 miles away. Maybe it's just migrating and stopped to rest.