Sorry for being absent for some time.
jbstratman said:
Perhaps a cylindrical object that is reflective only on one end?
This I have been thinking too, but the explanation seems much different after some discussion with a former astronomer at the university of Heidelberg.
There are two traces, a broad one like a snaky line and above a thin one which ist straight. Imagine a vibration of the mount (which I have never experienced myself though) and that both lines originate from satellites. But why then snaky and straight?
The duration for satellites to go through the image section is about seconds (remember 1000 mm focus length). Now two assumptions: First, the satellite above (straight line) went through
after the satellite below. Second, the mount vibration was finished before the above satellite went through. Indeed the amplitude of the snaky line is decreasing at the lower side of the line, before passing through.
Why the broad line? It seems it can be shown that's due to a very rapid satellite motion/tumbling.
Please let me know in case above conclusions are not consistent.
This issue will be most probably be discussed in the magazine "Sterne und Weltraum". I'll keep you informed.