Identifying elements in V(x)W, V,W V.Spaces

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of determining if two elements in a tensor product are equivalent. The example of Z/(37) and Z/(101) as modules was given to show the simplicity in determining equivalence in vector spaces but the complexity in non-free modules. The conversation also mentioned the need to define tensor products in a specific context, such as Z-modules.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, everyone:
I have been playing around with tensor products of vector spaces recently.
This question came up:

How can we tell if c(a(x)b)~(a(x)b) , or wether any two general elements
are in the same class, other than in the std. cases like c(a(x)b)~(ca(x)v)~
(a(x)cv) , etc.

Any Ideas?.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
this is why tensor products are hard, it is hard to tell when two reporesentatives for elements represent the same element of a tensor product.

as a tiny example, show that every pair of representatives in the tensor product of Z/(37) and Z/(101) represent the same element. e.g. for all pairs of integers (n,m) and (a,b), their tensor products are equal in that group.

Thanks, Mathwonk. I hope I am not missing something obvious
here, but I am kind of confused, tho; are you seeing Z/(37) and
Z/(101) as fields?. How do you define the tensor product, then?

Sorry for my dumbness here, Mathwonk. I was stuck with the idea of tensoring
vector spaces, and was thinking of both Z/(37) and Z/(101) as vector
spaces over themselves , so that the tensor did not make sense. Then
I thought for a second and realized it is a Z-module tensor.I'll do the exercise--
and review my algebra.

the case of vector spaces is trivial. the dimension of VtensW is always the product of their dimensions, and if {vi} and {wj} are bases, then so is {vitenswj}.
so every element can be written in terms of the basis to see if two elements are equivalent. the hard cases are modules that are not free.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by numbers called scalars. This structure is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including linear algebra and differential equations.

2. How do you identify elements in a vector space?

To identify elements in a vector space, you need to know the underlying structure of the space and the operations defined on it. In the case of V(x)W, V, and W vector spaces, you would need to know the specific properties of each space and how elements are defined in terms of their components or coordinates.

3. What is the difference between V(x)W and V,W vector spaces?

The notation V(x)W represents the direct sum of two vector spaces, where the elements of V and W are combined to create new elements in the direct sum space. On the other hand, V,W vector spaces are individual spaces that are not necessarily related to each other.

4. What are the main properties of vector spaces?

The main properties of vector spaces include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity and commutativity of addition, existence of a zero vector and additive inverses, and distributivity of scalar multiplication over vector addition. These properties ensure that the algebraic operations on vectors in a vector space follow consistent rules.

5. How are vector spaces used in scientific research?

Vector spaces are used in many areas of scientific research, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They provide a mathematical framework for representing and manipulating physical quantities and systems. For example, in physics, vector spaces are used to describe the position, velocity, and other properties of objects in space. In computer science, vector spaces are used in data analysis and machine learning to represent and process large datasets.