1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying resonant frequencies in various objects

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me with a project I have at the moment.

Here is the scenario;

I am playing various tones through a speaker system at a fridge and I need to be able to detect which of the tones make the fridge resonate.

I have been using a flat microphone taped to the fridge but that seems to be showing me nothing more than its own best frequency response.

What would be a more sensitive/suitable way to measure the vibrations in the fridge.

I would like to display the measurement signal on an oscilloscope

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    An accelerometer attached to the fridge will pick-up the vibrations while being quite insensitive to the sound waves coming though the air.
  4. Aug 26, 2010 #3
    Thank you, that sounds good.

Any particular one you think would be good? Can they be outputted to an oscilloscope.

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4
    When I was a teenager, I built an incredibly sensitive microphone that picked up vibrations from a surface without being affected by sound in the air. (It was really good at picking up conversations in the next room!)

All it was, was a piece of graphite rod extracted from a dry cell balanced on a pivot slightly off centre so that one end rested on another piece of graphite rod.

Very slight movements of the rods caused pressure changes at the contact points giving a change in conduction. A simple battery supply and a pair of headphones (no amplification) were all it took to make it work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook