Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IE blocked download, involved Homework & Coursework forum

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Earlier today, after entering the Homework & Coursework Questions forum and trying to enter the thread which BadFish started there, I.E. 7 blocked a download attempt. Later today, I find (using a different computer, and with I.E. 6) that the Homework & Coursework Questions forum will not open; only a partial image of that page appears and no other features fill.

(Not sure what prefix to give this posting: complaint or bug)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone been able to reproduce this bug?

4. Jun 2, 2009 #3

RonL

Gold Member

I'm not sure, but I think it is related to some new security in their system, I have had the problem of "Action Being Canceled" mainly when I reply to an e-mail. I have not found how to change this, other than, in tools turning off the security setting.

I think it is listed as "smart screen filter".

Ron

5. Jun 2, 2009 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IE 8 seems to work fine and is free to download along with other brands of web browser.

6. Jun 3, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

So far, the download blockage message has not reoccurred. Occasionally, a page will not finish appearing in the window, but the 'back' or the 'refrsh' button clears this.

7. Jun 4, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you get ads or do you have a HH perk of ad-free viewing? If you're ad-free, I have no other advice to offer. If you get ads, since it happened on two different page views, and is intermittent, I'd question if there's a bad ad that needs to be removed/blocked.

8. Jun 5, 2009 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear,
    I do not understand the terminology, "HH Perk", or "Ad-Free Viewing". What I have since been finding, is that when I attempt to pilot through the PF Forums, occasionally Internet Explorer will display a message saying that a page could not be opened; once the IE message is cleared, the expected PF page is actually viewable. This has been with IE 6. I do not remember the exact IE message, what it said. When I have a chance, I'll try to write exactly what was the message.

I'm still finding sometimes a PF page does not fully display, only showing a portion of the top, no text nor images below, and no vertical scrollbar; then using forward or back button, the display becomes full again.

No other websites show these problems; only Physics Forums. Currently, IE 6 in Windows XP.

9. Jun 5, 2009 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HH = homework helper. I think one of the benefits of being a homework helper is that you can view the site without google ads.

10. Jun 6, 2009 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

As stated in post #7, another IE error message appeared upon trying to enter to view one of the forum threads. The message box from IE was this:

Microsoft Internet Explorer - titlebar
    [X-image] Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=251199.
    Operation aborted
    [OK-button]

Upon clicking the OK button, the PF page was replaced with "Page cannot be displayed" window; upon clicking the 'refresh' button in Internet Explorer, the expected forum page displayed normally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook