If all the empty space of atoms were removed, how big would this earth be?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the hypothetical scenario of compressing the Earth to eliminate all empty space in atoms. The question is how big the Earth would be in this scenario, with one person mentioning a marble and another mentioning a stadium as potential sizes. The conversation also touches on other examples of compressed atoms, such as fitting the world's population into the size of a kidney bean. The final answer suggests that the Earth would be about 500 meters across in this scenario, with a black hole radius of 1 cm.
sskkambad
Hi everyone, first time poster.
Considering some of the things discussed here, I apologize if my question sounds simplistic.

If this Earth could be compressed so that all the empty space in atoms would disappear how big would this Earth be?
My science teacher once told me that it would be the size of a marble, and I've also heard that it would be the size of a large stadium. I realize it's not an easy thing to estimate but that seems to be quite a difference.

An example of such scales of atoms would be appreciated. (i.e. I've also been told all 6.5 people in this world could be compressed into the size of a kidney bean)

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The stadium is closer. An iron atom has a radius of about 1.2 x 10-10 m and an iron nucleus about 4.6 x 10-15 m. So there is a factor of about 26000 in radius, which means the Earth would be about 500 m across.

The black hole radius of the Earth is about 1 cm.

Thanks for the answer! Come to think of it, I think my science teacher was referring to the black hole density, not the compressed atom density.

1. How much empty space is there in an atom?

The exact amount of empty space in an atom varies depending on the type of atom, but on average, it is estimated that 99.9999999999999% of an atom is empty space.

2. If all the empty space of atoms were removed, would the earth be smaller or bigger?

If all the empty space within atoms were removed, the earth would technically be smaller in terms of volume. However, the difference would be minuscule and not noticeable to the naked eye.

3. How much smaller would the earth be without empty space in atoms?

If all the empty space within atoms were removed, the earth's volume would decrease by a factor of about 10^27 (a 1 followed by 27 zeros). This is an incredibly small amount and would not have any noticeable effect on the earth's size or shape.

4. How does the empty space in atoms affect the properties of matter?

The empty space in atoms plays a crucial role in determining the properties of matter. It allows for atoms to bond together and form molecules, which in turn make up all the physical matter in our world. Without the empty space, matter would not be able to exist in its current form.

5. Is it possible to completely remove all the empty space from atoms?

No, it is not possible to completely remove all the empty space from atoms. The empty space is a fundamental aspect of the structure of atoms and removing it would fundamentally change the nature of atoms and matter. Additionally, trying to remove all the empty space would require an immense amount of energy and is not feasible in practice.