If amplitude of a sound wave is quadrupled, by what factor does intensity increase?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhysChelle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amplitude Stupid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
PhysChelle
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Stupid Amplitude...HELP!

So I am working on some phys homework and I had a question about this problem:
If the Amplitude of a sound wave is quadrupled, by what factor will the intensity increase?

And I thuoght that the relationship between Intensity and amplitude was that Intensity is proportional to the Square of Amplitude...and i don't know for sure...Can you all help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks very much like a question that was in the k-12 section
and I will give the same answer:

You CAN'T do this if you don't know the relationship between amplitude and intensity- I'll bet that's in your textbook: Look it up!
 
well the whole reason i came here was because i couldn't find a direct relationship in my book about it...I tried figuring different things out but its still not the right answer. So, that's why I am totally lost with this question.