Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If both sides of an equation are undefined does that mean its true?

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    I was taking a test and basically for the answer I had limited it to two choices.
    A: x=3 and x does not equal 2
    or
    B. x=3 x=2

When I plug in three, I got 3/1=12/4 so three is true.
    But when I plugged in two I got 3/0=8/0
    So would this be true too? Or does x not equal 2?
    Wouldnt undefined on both sides be the same as infinity=infinity making it true?
    I already turned my test in and I chose B. Was I right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"Wouldnt undefined on both sides be the same as infinity=infinity making it true?"
    Totally wrong. Undefinedness, or infinity for that matter, is not a number, and hence, cannot "Equal" anything, since "equality" is a relation between numbers.

"I already turned my test in and I chose B. Was I right?"
    No.

4. May 15, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Statement A is true if x is equal to 3, and false for all other values of x. If x = 3, the first part is obviously true, as is the second part, since x is not equal to 2.

Statement B - I can't tell, since there is no connector between the two statements. If the missing connector is "and", then the statement is false, since x can't simultaneously be 2 and 3. If the connector is "or", then statement B is true if the value of x is either 2 or 3. It would be false for any other values of x
    No, 3 is neither true no false - it's a value. Only statements (such as equations or inequalities) can be true or false.
    No

5. May 15, 2013 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would help if you displayed the equation you are talking about.

6. May 17, 2013 #5
    Even if infinity exists within a number set, it still can't be counted on to equal itself. Infinity is more like a class of numbers then any one specific number. An infinite value might be countable, or uncountable, for example, and those would never equal to each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook