Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If Dy/Dx=5, Dr/D(theta)= 18, and y=40, find theta.

1. Sep 13, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting homework in a non-homework forum section
    Could anyone give me some advice as to how to solve this? P.S. Sorry if this should've gone in the Calculus forum, I didn't know which would be more appropriate.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Lets see if I understand: you want to solve: $$\frac{dy}{dx}=5\; ;\; \frac{dr}{d\theta}=18$$ ... for ##\theta## ?

There is not enough information ... we need to know the relationship between x y r and ##\theta##.
    If you know those, then you apply the operations to the relations and use algebra.

4. Sep 14, 2015 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

I think also that there is a problem in the request, if ##y=40## how can be possible that ## \frac{dy}{dx}=5##?

5. Sep 14, 2015 #4
    I didn't think there was enough information either, but this was all my professor gave me and he said it is somehow possible :(

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@TDavenport: Context... what have the recent lessons been about?
    Maybe something about polar coordinates?

@Ssnow: y = 5x ... dy/dx = 5 for all values of y ... but that was not the request.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook