If Dy/Dx=5, Dr/D(theta)= 18, and y=40, find theta.

• Thread starter TDavenport
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, the conversation is about a request for advice on how to solve a problem involving derivatives with not enough information given. The conversation includes a discussion on the need for more information and the possibility of using polar coordinates.
TDavenport
Member warned about posting homework in a non-homework forum section
Could anyone give me some advice as to how to solve this? P.S. Sorry if this should've gone in the Calculus forum, I didn't know which would be more appropriate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Lets see if I understand: you want to solve: $$\frac{dy}{dx}=5\; ;\; \frac{dr}{d\theta}=18$$ ... for ##\theta## ?

There is not enough information ... we need to know the relationship between x y r and ##\theta##.
If you know those, then you apply the operations to the relations and use algebra.

I think also that there is a problem in the request, if ##y=40## how can be possible that ## \frac{dy}{dx}=5##?

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Lets see if I understand: you want to solve: $$\frac{dy}{dx}=5\; ;\; \frac{dr}{d\theta}=18$$ ... for ##\theta## ?

There is not enough information ... we need to know the relationship between x y r and ##\theta##.
If you know those, then you apply the operations to the relations and use algebra.

I didn't think there was enough information either, but this was all my professor gave me and he said it is somehow possible :(

@TDavenport: Context... what have the recent lessons been about?
Maybe something about polar coordinates?

@Ssnow: y = 5x ... dy/dx = 5 for all values of y ... but that was not the request.

1. What do the given equations represent?

The given equations represent a system of equations that relate the rate of change of a function to the rate of change of another function and the value of the function at a specific point.

2. How do I solve for theta?

To solve for theta, you can use the given equations to set up a system of equations and then use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable theta.

3. What is the value of theta?

The value of theta cannot be determined with the given information. You need at least one more equation or piece of information to solve for the value of theta.

4. Can the equations be rearranged to solve for a different variable?

Yes, the equations can be rearranged to solve for a different variable. However, you will need to use algebraic manipulation and substitution to do so.

5. Is there a specific method or formula to solve for theta?

There is no specific method or formula to solve for theta in this case. You will need to use algebraic manipulation and substitution to solve for the variable.