Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B If energy is created with expansion and it has no limit...?

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1
    Then is potential energy infinite (potential energy=energy that can be created)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Think about how much this cost in terms of work! Absurd! It is as the perpetual motion ... :biggrin:

4. Nov 19, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is no potential energy creation in the creation of "dark energy" so I don't see that your "potential energy=energy that can be created" is a true definition at least certainly not in this case.

5. Nov 19, 2016 #4
    So how would you call the energy that could be created? Would it be infinite?

6. Nov 19, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Only if the universe is infinite. What are you really trying to get at?

7. Nov 19, 2016 #6
    Ok I think we aren't understanding each other. Correct me if i'm wrong. As universe expands and more space time appears more dark,vacuum and gravitational energy appear too right? So, if expansion has no limit (universe can expand forever) then these energies could be created with no limit right? Infinite energy could appear right? That infinite energy that can appear with expansion is what i called potential energy...so...?

8. Nov 19, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the universe is infinite they you don't need to wait ... the DE is ALREADY infinite. I still have no idea why you call it potential energy. Do you mean that there is the potential for infinite energy? If so, you are using a completely non-standard definition of the phrase "potential energy".

9. Nov 19, 2016 #8
    Well supposing that universe is finite and expanding.
    And yes that was the thing i meant to say. If calling it potential energy is incorrect what term should i use?

10. Nov 19, 2016 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the universe is finite then an infinite amount of DE would take an infinite time to create.

Do you understand the normal meaning of "potential energy"? If not, you should get clear on it.

11. Nov 19, 2016 #10
    I called it potential energy because i didn't find another way to name it but i knew it was somehow incorrect that's why i asked the question..so how could we name it?

12. Nov 19, 2016 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just describe it, exactly as you would do for any phenomenon or complex set of events for which there is no single name.

13. Nov 19, 2016 #12
    ok, you're right but just one last thing. if infinite energy can be created, could we say that there's (potentially) infinite energy ?

14. Nov 19, 2016 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

In an infinite universe or in an infinite amount of time, there can be infinite most anything. What IS this fascination you have with infinite energy? What's the point? Do you have some personal theory that you are trying to find support for?

15. Nov 19, 2016 #14

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Note that the total energy for the universe (including potential energy) is difficult to define for a number of complicated reasons. The following article goes into detail about energy conservation in GR, which is essentially what you're talking about here. Here's the link: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

16. Nov 20, 2016 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The total energy of the universe is irrelevant, only the energy density in the observable universe matters.

17. Nov 20, 2016 #16
    So, would we be correct if we say that energy is (potentially) infinite?

18. Nov 20, 2016 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS ??? What IS it that makes you keep trying to get people to tell you that there is infinite energy. What does it matter? Did you not believe Chronos' telling you that it it irrelevant and only the energy density matters?

I have asked you a couple of times now why you keep asking this. Why do you refuse to answer?

19. Nov 22, 2016 #18

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed on this pointless discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook