If gases fill any container, what does varying volume mean in PV=nRT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter babita
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gases Pv=nrt
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
babita
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I was studying about gases..and a thought struck me: we are taught that gases have no fixed volume. They occupy whole of volume of container in which they're placed.
so what are we trying to calculate by the equation PV=nRT . I mean at a particular P T and n,
place the gas in containers having different volumes.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi babita! :smile:
babita said:
… what are we trying to calculate by the equation PV=nRT . I mean at a particular P T and n, place the gas in containers having different volumes.

you can't … if V is different, then one of the others must be different also (usually the pressure)

that's why the equation is important! :biggrin:​