If humamoids lived around a flare red dwarf, would the flare kill them?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was reading about how red dwarf stars are typically flare stars. So if there were humanoids that were like us on an Earth-like planet in a such red dwarf system - i.e., and were accustomed to the temperature of Earth, etc. - would the flare heat up the planet to be too hot for life? Alternatively, this question could be stated "if the Earth were somehow hyperspaced into an orbit around such a red dwarf system such that it had the same temperature as Earth has around Sol, would the flares cause the temperature to spike enough to kill us".

Answers and Replies

I was reading about how red dwarf stars are typically flare stars. So if there were humanoids that were like us on an Earth-like planet in a such red dwarf system - i.e., and were accustomed to the temperature of Earth, etc. - would the flare heat up the planet to be too hot for life? Alternatively, this question could be stated "if the Earth were somehow hyperspaced into an orbit around such a red dwarf system such that it had the same temperature as Earth has around Sol, would the flares cause the temperature to spike enough to kill us".
Basically, red dwarf flares are survivable in short term. X-ray flare fluxes are deadly outside of atmosphere, but are effectively blocked before reaching surface.
The habitability concerns are are mostly about long-term effect - i.e. atmosphere erosion. Planets orbiting flare stars (most notably potentially habitable planets in Teegarten system) may lose even dense atmospheres on the timescales of less than billion years, because of impulse heating of upper layers by repeating flares.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
We can discuss the effect on humans, which are real, but not on "humanoids" which are fictional,

We can discuss the effect on humans, which are real, but not on "humanoids" which are fictional,
Well, by "humanoid" I meant some creature that is accustomed to conditions on Earth, had the sam elevel of corporeal robustness, and that had the intelligence to do things to mitigate the situation. For all intents & purposes, these humanoids could be considered humans.

I should say that I believe that "we are not alone".

Klystron
Gold Member
I should say that I believe that "we are not alone".
This implies that life evolved on this hypothetical system including:
Well, by "humanoid" I meant some creature that is accustomed to conditions on Earth, had the same level of corporeal robustness, and that had the intelligence to do things to mitigate the situation. For all intents & purposes, these humanoids could be considered humans. [edit: corrected typo]
If intelligent life evolved and thrived under a variable star; such organisms, ipso facto, would be adapted to local conditions with appropriate protections from solar flares such as developing under atmosphere, underground, underwater, etc.

While this thread of reasoning approaches speculation, we humans should be able to test an analogue system in a reasonable length of time by conducting experiments substituting Jupiter for the red dwarf star and sampling plumes from Europa and similar satellites to detect life.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/moons/jupiter-moons/europa/in-depth/#potential_for_life_otp