What is the Possibility of Habitable Planets Around Brown Dwarfs?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DiamondTiara
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Planets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 4K views
DiamondTiara
Gold Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
6
TL;DR
What would planets around Brown Dwarfs be like?
I have not seen a whole lot on this topic, so I'm just going to ask a few general questions here that have crossed my mind recently. Habitable meaning, of similar temperature to that of the Earth.

1 - What would we expect habitable planets around Brown Dwarfs to be like?
2 - What types of Brown Dwarf stars would be more conductive to having habitable planets?
3 - What would the view / sky from the surface of such planets look like?
4 - What types of planetary systems would Brown Dwarfs be expected to have?
5 - Would Y Dwarf stars be capable of having habitable planets?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Technically, exoplanets around brown dwarfs are not planets. The IAU definition is that a planet orbits the sun.

I think you also need to be a little more specific in your questions: "What would we expect habitable planets around Brown Dwarfs to be like?" Um....we'd expect them to be habitable, I guess.

If you are looking for more, you'll have to point us in the right direction.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Technically, exoplanets around brown dwarfs are not planets. The IAU definition is that a planet orbits the sun.

I think you also need to be a little more specific in your questions: "What would we expect habitable planets around Brown Dwarfs to be like?" Um....we'd expect them to be habitable, I guess.
Habitable, perhaps, but also inhospitable!
 
Vanadium 50 said:
Technically, exoplanets around brown dwarfs are not planets. The IAU definition is that a planet orbits the sun.

I think you also need to be a little more specific in your questions: "What would we expect habitable planets around Brown Dwarfs to be like?" Um....we'd expect them to be habitable, I guess.

If you are looking for more, you'll have to point us in the right direction.

I will be referring to them as planets for the sake of discussion and simplicity.

I am looking for information about the general appearance of such worlds and general answers to my questions. To say they are "habitable" does not do much to answer my questions, as that is already a given factor in my line of questioning.

More specific questions - What would general light conditions be? Would stars be visible during the day around planets in the habitable zones of brown dwarfs? What would we expect their general appearance to be?
 
An unhappy thought: White dwarfs were A-type or 'hotter' stars that have run through their fuel, expired quietly. Think Sirius-B, The Pup. A potentially habitable planet would have been a considerable distance out, especially when you remember star ran through 'Red Giant' phase along the way...

Okay, a 'Brown Dwarf' or T-type does not have this problem to same extent but, as it cools after lithium burning, will have a steadily shrinking hab-zone. IIRC, initial 'orbit would have to be far enough out that subsequent tidal dissipation would tend to increase orbital size per Earth/Moon.
D'uh...

One possibility is multiple planets with resonance-driven tidal forces keeping the hab-zone's stirred...