If raindrops fell with no air drag how long would it take?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iluvpandas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Air drag Drag
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
iluvpandas
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If there were no air drag, how fast would drops fall from a cloud 1.6 kilometer above the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations


am i heading in the right direction if not what am i doing wrong?


The Attempt at a Solution



i tried converting to m first then i divided both by 2 getting

2d=at^2 and then i divided both by the acceleration which i assumed to be gravity (9.8) after that i had 2(1600)/9.8=t^2 and to get rid of the exponet i rooted both sides and got 326.5
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,

d = 0.5gt^2 + v_0*t
v_0 = 0
1.6km = 0.5*9.81*t^2
t = 326..
 
when i ented the answer the web assignment said it was wrong though and now I am kind of confused as to what i did wrong.
 
iluvpandas said:
when i ented the answer the web assignment said it was wrong though and now I am kind of confused as to what i did wrong.

Because it is sqrt(326). I just recognized that. I also forgot to take square root