If you had a possible explanation on dark energy.

In summary, the author is looking for opinions on an idea for dark energy, but is worried that if he doesn't have any math or science knowledge it won't be taken seriously. He recommends that the author learn math and also discusses the importance of understanding what has been previously researched in order to develop an idea.
evelknee
If you had a possible explanation on dark energy...

As the title tries to suggest, what would be the best way to get opinions on my idea of dark energy, without sounding like a kook?

I spend probably spend 2-10 hrs a day either thinking, reading or watching documentaries about the cosmos. I am completely fascinated about it. Although I was never very good with calculus or physics while studying to be an engineer, I fell in love with cosmology.

Most of my thoughts are pretty random, but sometimes I can stay focus and do some decent thought experiments that seem to allow me to understand things a bit more than just reading or watching it, but to actually run the scenario through my mind.

I would like to know why my idea could be right, or even wrong, it doesn't matter to me, but this idea on dark energy has been consuming my mind for at least the last few weeks and I need to move on.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.

I'm sorry to say, but in physics if your idea has no math, it has no value whatsoever. So my first suggestion is that you must learn math.

Second, no useful idea in science ever develops without a thorough knowledge of what is already known. More to the point, few people will want to waste their time dealing with random, idle speculation when if the person had been educated, they could answer their questions and at least start to analyze the idea themselves. And as a policy, we don't do that here because it is a waste of our time and a backwards approach to science.

Welcome to PF!

We don't discuss speculative ideas here. This forum mainly focuses on helping students learn STEM related topics. If you had specific questions about STEM stuff you've read or seen then we could help answer them here but we don't debate or discuss personal theories of science.

Thank you for the reply. I most definitely did not want to break any rules with my first post.

I will just continue to read the discussions on this forum, thanks

evelknee said:
Thank you for the reply. I most definitely did not want to break any rules with my first post.

I will just continue to read the discussions on this forum, thanks

and please do ask questions and contribute whenever you can.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe, but its exact nature and properties are still largely unknown.

2. How did scientists discover dark energy?

The existence of dark energy was first proposed by scientists in the late 1990s, based on observations of distant supernovae. These observations showed that the expansion of the universe is actually accelerating, rather than slowing down as previously thought. This led to the theory of dark energy as a possible explanation for this unexpected phenomenon.

3. What are some possible explanations for dark energy?

There are several theories that attempt to explain dark energy, including the cosmological constant, quintessence, and the holographic principle. The cosmological constant is the simplest explanation and suggests that dark energy is a constant force that permeates all of space. Quintessence is a dynamic form of dark energy that changes over time, while the holographic principle suggests that dark energy is a result of the information content of the universe.

4. How does dark energy affect the universe?

The presence of dark energy in the universe is thought to be the driving force behind the accelerated expansion of the universe. This means that the universe is expanding at an ever-increasing rate, causing galaxies to move away from each other at a faster pace. Without dark energy, the expansion of the universe would eventually slow down and potentially even reverse.

5. How is dark energy being studied and researched?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to study and research dark energy, including observations of distant supernovae, measurements of cosmic microwave background radiation, and simulations using advanced computer models. Additionally, experiments using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, are also being conducted to try and detect any particles that may be associated with dark energy.