If you're in eastern USA, fill up your gas tank

In summary, the East Coast is facing gas shortages and price hikes due to a pipeline leak that is affecting several states. Some gas stations are already experiencing dry tanks and increased prices, while others are still functioning normally. The governors of Alabama and Georgia have declared states of emergency due to the situation.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
East Coast faces gas shortages, price hikes after pipeline leak (CNN.com)

That pipeline passes about 20-30 miles from here.

This morning I stopped at my usual gas station, one of the cheapest around here. There were more people there than usual, and a couple of the pumps had gone empty. While I was filling up at $1.75 / gallon, the manager came out and changed the big sign in front of the station to read $1.85. I did get the $1.75, having already swiped my credit card. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
An increase of 5 to 10 cents per gallon, the odd station here and there with dry tanks, for a breakage that's likely to be fixed in a couple weeks if not days, and ...

The governors of Alabama and Georgia have already declared states of emergency.

Well, any excuse to turn on those Federal FEMA dollars.

Likes Bystander
My daughter lives in GA right now and the prices have gone up.

1. Why should I fill up my gas tank if I'm in eastern USA?

Filling up your gas tank in the eastern USA is essential because gas prices tend to be higher in this region compared to other parts of the country. Therefore, it is better to fill up your tank before traveling further east to save money on gas.

2. Is there a specific time I should fill up my gas tank in eastern USA?

It is recommended to fill up your gas tank during weekdays in the morning or late at night. This is because gas stations tend to raise their prices during weekends and peak hours.

3. How far can I drive with a full tank of gas in eastern USA?

The distance you can drive with a full tank of gas depends on your car's fuel efficiency and the type of driving you do. On average, a full tank can last around 300 miles.

4. Are there any benefits to filling up my gas tank in eastern USA?

Yes, filling up your gas tank in eastern USA can also provide peace of mind and convenience, especially if you are traveling to remote areas where gas stations may be scarce. It also ensures that you won't run out of gas in the middle of your journey.

5. Is it necessary to fill up my gas tank if I have a hybrid or electric car?

Although hybrid and electric cars have better fuel efficiency, it is still important to fill up your gas tank in eastern USA to avoid running out of gas and getting stranded. Additionally, some hybrid cars may use gas as a backup when the battery runs out.